HUB Ideas and Suggestions...

HUB Ideas and Suggestions...

by Chris Kenniburg -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello All,

We are exploring setting up a Moodle Hub and we really like the concept but we also believe Moodle HUB could be so much more!

The Moodle HUB is one of those technologies that is ahead of it's time and one could argue is under developed. With Blackboard pushing their new Project XP the idea of a Moodle HUB is very appealing. The Moodle HUB plugin is a critical part of making course building easier for teachers. Here are some improvements I think would greatly benefit Moodle HUB.

• There would be 2 publishing options: Courses and Resources. Resources could be anything from books and files to quizzes and other activities found in a course.
  • Next to each resource should be a publish button which would allow the teacher to share it with a Moodle HUB. Much like what the Sharing Cart Plugin does. 
  • Under Add Resource or Activity pop-up would be a Moodle HUB option. Clicking this would load the HUB search page and allow the teacher to browse Resources and automatically download the backup package and install it instantly in the course. This search page would exclude full course backups and only show resources.
  • When doing a course restore, the file manager woudl show a new repository option would appear which allows users to search the Moodle HUB and then select a course backup to install. This search page would be limited to full course backups and not the resources. 

The ability to just publish specific activities and then instantly – without downloading and restoring- adding the specific activity to a new course would be AMAZING!

This is my 2 cents on where the HUB concept might benefit our teachers and make it a very useful tool for course creation.

Is there a roadmap for Moodle HUB features?  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: HUB Ideas and Suggestions...

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Chris - did you realise that you can already publish single activities or a subset of your course, by simply selecting them during them backup phase?

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: HUB Ideas and Suggestions...

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Martin.  

I had been overlooking the controls you get during the backup process and now I see how you can pick and choose what get's backed up.  

I guess I am just trained to click next as fast as possible to get to the end!