LMS Comparison -- What can Moodle do?

LMS Comparison -- What can Moodle do?

by Eva Lorentz -
Number of replies: 8

Hello!

I'm an intern with a government agency. We're considering several options for a new LMS, and Moodle is one of them. I've been tasked with completing the comparison report--after exploring the documents and forums sections of moodle.org I've found information concerning most of our requirements, but there are some that I either couldn't find or that weren't clear. Here is the list:

1. Can a certificate of completion be automatically generated upon completion of a course, including employee (student) name and date/time of completion?
  2. Can a course be configured to save progress and indicate where an individual should resume work between logins?
  3. Can a teacher/admin restrict the order in which activities/topics are taken without the use of conditional grading?
  4. Is there capability to search for course codes? If so, and the code searched for does not exist, can Moodle be configured to generate an online "survey" with form/data collection for requested information to be sent to a chosen destination?
  5. Can a session of a course be deleted without deleting the entire course? Can courses be deleted?
  6. Can admins enter fields for contract amount/cost data and still be able to mark "no charge" on an individual level to generate calculated fields for breakeven? What about total contract cost (number of chargeable slots filled compared to contract cost/individual charge as breakeven point)?
  7. Are teacher and admin roles able to toggle fields to view employees (students) by alpha, date enrolled, etc.?
  8. Is there a way to put in specific trigger dates per session and/or course for email updates to a chosen destination? Can this be auto-generated?
  9. Is there a report/view that can be used to quickly see for any session or multiple sessions of the same course: #fully approved, #pending (supr), #pending (funds), #chargeable?
  10. Can data collection be managed to create accurate course rosters with general enrollment info (name from Active Directory, contacts, unit, supervisor, etc.) and check for dupes?
  11. Can employees (students) request accommodation at time of enrollment? Can this request be automatically forwarded to the teacher?
  12. Can Cisco Meeting Place/Vidyo recorded sessions be tied to the system for tracking and/or archival purposes?
  13. Can the courses be set up to send an email to supervisor when employee (student) registers?
  14. Can an employee be assigned a course which they have to enroll for themselves? Can their status (unassigned, assigned, enrolled, completed) be tracked and viewed in a report?
  15. Can admins/teachers customize emails and send them out to entire classes? Do these roles have the option of sending emails to individuals/sessions/courses?
  16. Is there a way to run reports concerning evaluation data for an individual session, courses overall, averages calculated, etc.? Also, can evaluation data be calculated by instructor/vendor?
  17. Is there a way to print standard lists with the ability to filter results, including but not limited to: training schedule (date range, unit provider, title), training delivered, monthly schedule of classes for a particular location, etc.?
  18. Is there a way to produce an ad-hoc report based on key words (e.g., category, title, instructor, dates, etc.)?
  19. Is the data collected in a format that allows for possible future export to PeopleSoftFIN?
  20. Is the system compatible with older browsers? Most browsers were mentioned in the documents section concerning that topic, so specifically--what about Netscape (yes, I know, who uses Netscape?) and is there a more complete list of supported/unsupported browsers?

I would appreciate enlightenment on these questions and/or links to places where I can find more information. If the answer to any of these questions is "no," I would appreciate an opinion about how difficult it would be to develop a module that can perform the requested action.

Thanks in advance,

Eva

La media da valetaziuns: -
In reply to Eva Lorentz

Re: LMS Comparison -- What can Moodle do?

by Marcus Green -
Maletg da 	Core developers Maletg da 	Particularly helpful Moodlers Maletg da 	Plugin developers Maletg da 	Testers

Which is your most important question?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Colin Fraser -
Maletg da 	Documentation writers Maletg da 	Testers

Lots of questions, and these are my ideas and opinions, but please bear in mind, Moodle is Open Source. This means that anything you need that can be considered "enterprise specific", your organization can develop for themselves iff they chose to. Look at it this way, Moodle can be a shell you manipulate for your own purposes, in anyway you need it to. Any development your organization needs it can create itself, without prejudice, it can onsell any such development, it can give it away, it can dump it altogether. You can download and install a copy of Moodle, then develop it anyway you like and build your own updates.  What you cannot do is rebadge and sell Moodle.  There are other restrictions, of course, but these are all outlined in the EULA and under the GNU Open Source License as well as US Patent laws. In short, you can do almost anything you want to Moodle without waiting for some vague "development team" to produce a patch that may or may not work with the hundred other patches you have already installed.  

Can a certificate of completion be automatically generated upon completion of a course, including employee (student) name and date/time of completion?
    Yes, certificate module does that.

Can a course be configured to save progress and indicate where an individual should resume work between logins?
    Yes - depending on how you want to configure the course, you can start/stop anywhere if you want to recognize prior learning, or grant equivalency.

Can a teacher/admin restrict the order in which activities/topics are taken without the use of conditional grading?
    Yes, but you may still need conditional activities, alternatively, you can physically set a course structure up to display a single topic at a time if you really want to maintain a lockstep approach, and you can make your assessment process/system anything you want - within limits of course.   

Is there capability to search for course codes? If so, and the code searched for does not exist, can Moodle be configured to generate an online "survey" with form/data collection for requested information to be sent to a chosen destination?
    Dunno... never tried it but each course is written and developed in whatever manner you want them to be, and can be searched for inside Moodle, but if you properly structure your menu approach with a mixture of visual and textual clues, there should be an absolute minimum need for searching - it should be thematically or topically intuitive. And, IMNSHO, if an LMS is offering such a search capacity as a major selling point, I would suggest their menu structure might be more than a little suspect.

Can a session of a course be deleted without deleting the entire course? Can courses be deleted?
    Yes and no... but this question is a little vague, a course can be deleted, but only by someone with the appropriate permissions, but why delete a course? It can be archived, it can be made part of a complete backup/archive, it can be hidden from user view, but still available to the person(s) who is/are assigned as teacher(s), as site administrator(s),  

Can admins enter fields for contract amount/cost data and still be able to mark "no charge" on an individual level to generate calculated fields for breakeven? What about total contract cost (number of chargeable slots filled compared to contract cost/individual charge as breakeven point)?
    mmmmm not sure what you are getting at here... but I am not that mercenary with charging. I cannot remember hearing any comments that deny this possibility, if I understand you correctly. AFAIK, you can make whatever rules you want around charging, but that would be between you and whomever you contract with.  

Are teacher and admin roles able to toggle fields to view employees (students) by alpha, date enrolled, etc.?
    Yes - to a point but why? Who benefits?  This is enterprise specific. 

Is there a way to put in specific trigger dates per session and/or course for email updates to a chosen destination? Can this be auto-generated?
    Yes, you can have commencement and conclusion dates preset, and the course is only available for that period of time, see above about restriuctions on specifying sessions or lessons or topics or weeks.

Is there a report/view that can be used to quickly see for any session or multiple sessions of the same course: #fully approved, #pending (supr), #pending (funds), #chargeable?
    Dunno, but of there isn't then any clever PHP/MySQL (or Postgres or Oracle or MSSQL) coder can easily create the necessary reports you need. Again, enterprise specific needs can be met internally.

Can data collection be managed to create accurate course rosters with general enrollment info (name from Active Directory, contacts, unit, supervisor, etc.) and check for dupes?
    I understand that is still in development, but how far do you want to go? Again, whatever reports are lacking, see the previous answer.

Can employees (students) request accommodation at time of enrollment? Can this request be automatically forwarded to the teacher?
    ??? What? Moodle is an LMS and this is way beyond the scope of anything that Moodle has ever offered, but again, if you have a clever PHP developer, or team, you can actually create your own modules to do whatever you want them to do.

Can Cisco Meeting Place/Vidyo recorded sessions be tied to the system for tracking and/or archival purposes?
    Dunno, never considered it, but I expect so, there might need to be some tweaking of the recorders, but I cannot think of any reasons why screen grabbers like these can't record things. That seems to me to be something of a system of perfection, a want rather than a need, and such ambition can bring any project unstuck. The individual nature of Moodle though would make this a rather duanting task if you want to record every session of every student.   

Can the courses be set up to send an email to supervisor when employee (student) registers?
    Of course. But this is always a topic of discussion, and contention. Self enrollment has some uses, but your security around recognition and acceptance is going to need to be pretty tight. As I am in the public education sector, such things are for me, somewhat vague, someone else may be better qualified to answer these questions.   

Can an employee be assigned a course which they have to enroll for themselves? Can their status (unassigned, assigned, enrolled, completed) be tracked and viewed in a report? mmmm again, dunno... never bothered with it, but this seems to me to be something of a want than a need. However, having said that, you can develop your own modules for these purposes.

Can admins/teachers customize emails and send them out to entire classes? Do these roles have the option of sending emails to individuals/sessions/courses?
    Yes, yes and yes, as long as the SMPT servers are set up correctly and the links between Moodle and the server are right and the email addresses of the recipients are correct, you can even customize the automatic messaging emails.

Is there a way to run reports concerning evaluation data for an individual session, courses overall, averages calculated, etc.? Also, can evaluation data be calculated by instructor/vendor?
    Wow! How much tracking and assessing are you doing? Be careful here, you do not want to monster the teaching/instructing staff with this. You can develop grading systems within Moodle, the extent of which can be limited by the tasks set within each course. You can have a fully manual assessment process, a manual/automatic process or fully automatic process, but you will need to be very clear to start with and be constantly vigilant for deviations. Automatic assessments need to be very specific, this is a hardware limitation rather than a programmatic problem, computers have yet to learn how to think and make judgement calls.  

Is there a way to print standard lists with the ability to filter results, including but not limited to: training schedule (date range, unit provider, title), training delivered, monthly schedule of classes for a particular location, etc.?
    See report comments above, you can manipulate Moodle to do whatever you want here.

Is there a way to produce an ad-hoc report based on key words (e.g., category, title, instructor, dates, etc.)?
    Yes, a simplistic preexisting process does exist, but it is somewhat basic, any real sophisitcation is usually enterprise specific, and way outside Moodle.org's  vision of a useful product.

Is the data collected in a format that allows for possible future export to PeopleSoftFIN?
    What is PeopleSoftFIN? If it uses xml files, then possibly, but this is so enterprise specific, it is really outside the scope of Moodle.

Is the system compatible with older browsers? Most browsers were mentioned in the documents section concerning that topic, so specifically--what about Netscape (yes, I know, who uses Netscape?) and is there a more complete list of supported/unsupported browsers?
    AFAIK, there may be specific issues with specific browsers, some older versions of Internet Explorer can break Moodle styles, but this is an IE problem, which has since been fixed in later versions. The ready availability of newer browsers though should render this question moot. I do understand though that even if someone is using Netscape, they are not going to get too much of the modern internet displaying, and as more and more HTML5 is used and IPv6 sites start to dominate, older browsers are going to be relegated to the dustbin. Moodle is not using HTML5 yet, AFAIK, but it will, and when it does then there wuill be compatibility issues.     

Moodle is very much a work in progress. It is adaptable to any circumstance you want it to be, almost. You can legally change any part of Moodle you want, you can take control of it and make it your own. The Moodles I run are basic, standard Moodles, the Moodle run by Open University is hugely different. My little Moodles suit the not for profit enterprises they are used in. You do not like something in Moodle, change it to suit your need. AFAIK, none of the other LMS' offer that kind of flexibility.  

La media da valetaziuns: Useful (2)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Colin Fraser -
Maletg da 	Documentation writers Maletg da 	Testers

To add a little more to this question...

Can a course be configured to save progress and indicate where an individual should resume work between logins?
    Yes - depending on how you want to configure the course, you can start/stop anywhere if you want to recognize prior learning, or grant equivalency.

Generally, individual tasks indicate they are complete, as they can be locked to prevent repetition or duplication of uploads, or are date locked to ensure prompt and proper completion of activities. If you have a definite need to record exact progress, then you will need to use a guide. There used to be a plugin for v1.9 that indicated what tasks or exercises had been completed by an individual student, it provided a coloured bar graphic the student could use to tell which activities had been completed or not. I don't think it was upgraded, initially, but it may have been now. With the advent of so many different types of activities, this sort of individualized tracking process may become more important. This too could be something that is enterprise specific, but I suspect it would have a wider application as well. 

La media da valetaziuns: Useful (2)
In reply to Eva Lorentz

by Rick Jerz -
Maletg da 	Particularly helpful Moodlers Maletg da 	Testers

Out of curiosity, what other LMS's are being considered?

As a general observation, you seem to have many "behind the scenes" types of questions.  The responses so far, as you said, have been helpful.  You might want to consider placing more emphasis on the features that will help a course become a "great" course.  I am a professor who is currently using Moodle, but my main school uses Blackboard, and my secondary school uses Desire2Learn.  I could use either of these products, if desired.  But I find Moodle to be much better.

I am not a programmer, but for your types of needs, I think that you would want to have a good programmer on staff who knows php and mySQL.  Probably many of your needs can then be satisfied.

La media da valetaziuns: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Bob Puffer -

I'd echo what Rick says.  We've been with Moodle since 2004 and would never have achieved the usage rate (85% of faculty without mandate) or the satisfaction without a commitment to "making it work for us".  In my estimation a great LMS consists of:

1. A good strong base system that has lots of community support and is relatively easy to customize.  Moodle is way out front on this mark.
  2. A group of like-minded organizations from which you can draw expertise and wise decision-making.  We use CLAMP and it has served us very well.
  3. A programmer or lead-programmer with significant experience in using and modifying whatever software you choose in number 1.

No LMS is great out of the box but some, by their nature or by bad managerial decisions stay in the box their entire life-cycle.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Rick Jerz -
Maletg da 	Particularly helpful Moodlers Maletg da 	Testers

Here's an example of what we are saying.  What do you do when a student has a very good excuse for missing a quiz?  Most teachers would want to make an exception.

Blackboard, has never provided this ability.  I asked for it around 10 years ago, and it is still not there.  Along the way, I switched to WebCT... it had this feature.  When I started using Moodle (somewhere around 1.5), it did not have this feature, and I was disappointed.  However, I and many others asked for it (in Tracker), and by Moodle version 2, it was there.  Not only was it there, the tool is very flexible.  This is an example of great community support.  Why would any product not allow for a situation that occurs frequently?

One more quick example is the ability to fix a quiz question, and then regrade all quizzes.  Blackboard, for example can't do this.  Does this ever happen in real life (i.e., do teachers ever make mistakes with quiz answers?)

I am not an avid programmer, but I do understand some things about php and html, so I have made some minor changes to some of the wording in Moodle.  I could never do this with products like Blackboard.  I have seen some very significant, and very cool changes that others have made, and this is a powerful and great feature of Moodle.

Relative to support, I can say that I get much better support (via this discussion forum, and tracker) for Moodle than I get for Blackboard (which is the product that my school is using). For example, about two weeks ago, I asked my Blackboard support group if Blackboard's file upload limit could be increased to something higher that 10MB.  Guess what, I still have not heard from them.  I know how to do this myself with my Moodle installation.

Hope this helps.

La media da valetaziuns: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Steve H. -

I can provide you with a very real world scenario.

I was at college taking a final for my Visual Basics class and during the exam the power flashed. The computers didn't have any backup power supply so all of them went down. The test was marked as a one time deal so nobody was able to finish that test. The only options were to take your score you had or retest. They were using Blackboard and still do to this day. 

I thought that was kind of lame as well that you can't let a teacher change the date to be completed or the time alotted or anything else about a test after the fact.