How to setup a Dataform - poor documentation

How to setup a Dataform - poor documentation

per Dave Perry,
Number of replies: 11

I appreciate the v2.3-happy version isn't out yet, but I gave it a whirl. And the link between views and fields and packages isn't at all clear, and how to add these fields to a form / list of results. When the testing is complete, could you please expand the wiki so I can try and make sense of it. As it looks like it'll solve a task I've been asked to look at facilitating on moodle if it's done right!

Average of ratings  -
In reply to Dave Perry

Re: How to setup a Dataform - poor documentation

per Itamar Tzadok,

Dataform packages enhance the concept of Database presets by allowing you to make a preset with content (as opposed to the Database presets that are limited to structure).

The link between fields and views in the Dataform is similar to the Database's. You add fields and then create template views by adding field tags in your preferred layout. The main difference between the Dataform and Database in this respect is that whereas the Database has only 3 template views each of which is a fixed type for a fixed purpose (list, single, add/edit), the Dataform can have as many views as you need as instances of several available types.

Please appreciate that as contributed code the development of the Dataform runs on limited resources and as such is subject to priorities. If the organization you represent is willing to sponsor some of this work please let me know. With a bit more resources we could definitely speed up testing and documentation, and your organization and the whole Moodle community for that matter would be able to make more of the plugin and Moodle.

sorire

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

per Dave Perry,

Thanks for clarifying, I'll have another stab when you release the 2.3-compliant version (when I tried to create a Package, it errored on creating temporary directory). Sadly getting money at the moment is hard enough for stuff we need, let alone stuff we would like!

In reply to Dave Perry

per AL Rachels,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers

David,

I am also using the Dataform in Moodle 2.3.1+ and it works great...for me. I started with the alpha version and switched to the beta version (2011100300 release 1.0.4) not too long ago. I have a few more days before school starts up again. Contact me via my email address in my profile and I will see if I can lend a hand setting up what you need. If nothing else I can maybe give you one or two dataforms already set up so you can see how things mesh together in dataform. Took me a few hours playing around to figure it out  back when the alpha version came out. Haven't used the old database since...just dataform because it is so handy having a block view. grand sorire

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

per Itamar Tzadok,

AL, most recent release is 2.0.0 build 2012071500. As per your comment in the plugins repo, the gradebook connectivity is now fixed. And there are some other enhancements and fixes other changes. sorire

per AL Rachels,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers
Sounds great. I will update as soon as I get back home from the doctors office. Hmmm...might have new mobo, cpu, and memory waiting by then. Scheduled for delivery sometime today. sorire That could cause a slight delay. sorire Thanks, AL
In reply to AL Rachels

per Itamar Tzadok,

The 2.0.0 does not upgrade the 1.0.4 so use with caution if you have data. sorire

per AL Rachels,

Thanks for the heads up...right now I have nothing but sample data as I have been zeroing everything out getting ready for students in two weeks. I will just delete everything if necessary.

AL

per AL Rachels,

Itamar,

I have been very busy getting my new Moodle server up and ready, plus getting computers in my lab updated and ready for the new school year. I just now finally got a little time to try out the new version 2.0.0 release of Dataform and was curious as to why you dropped the Nanogong field?

I can get around not having it by using a text area and recording a Nanogong 4.2.2 recording but I liked the idea of having a dedicated field for it.

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

per Itamar Tzadok,

It should return next week. sorire

per AL Rachels,

Itamar,

Sounds great. Someone in another forum was asking how to create a quiz with audio questions and then the student would record an audio answer. Using your Dataform was one of the ways I can think of easily doing that without doing any programming – but only if you have a Nanogong field. I am looking forward to getting that field back so that I can try it out with my students.

Thanks,

Al

In reply to AL Rachels

per Dave Perry,

AL - thanks for the messages, they helped a bit along with various replies from Itamar.

I might put something onto the wiki about how I've used it for this for this particular scenario.