Forum postings not being sent to users

Forum postings not being sent to users

by Bruce Enting -
Number of replies: 10

Hi folks

I have forced subscription to my forum but no one is receiving the posts. Moodle 2.1.4

Any ideas?

Is it a server side issue or a moodle side one?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bruce Enting

Re: Forum postings not being sent to users

by Carlos Foscolo -

Hi Bruce,

I have a similar situation in my sites running on 1.9+ (on 2.3+ it's OK). In my case the messages aren't sent automacatilly.  I always have to use the browser to write down the command '.../admin/cron.php". 

Carlos

In reply to Carlos Foscolo

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Bruce and Carlos,

Does the advice given to the FAQ 'Why are email copies of forum posts not being sent?' in Forum FAQ help you at all?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Bruce Enting -

Hi Helen

There is a section in the FAQ that talks about this My settings in Moodle seem OK eg message output etc. but I don't really understand the CRON bit.

thanks bruce

In reply to Helen Foster

by Bruce Enting -

Hi Helen

i can't get the wget syntax right

wget URL works fine but

wget -q -O URL doesn't

what is -q - O   Is it a zero or aletter "O"

cheers bruce

In reply to Bruce Enting

by Corrie Emery -

I have a similar issue, i have a overall school announcemt forum. i have is set to force all. this has worked befor in the past. Recently most users are not getting any anouncments. some of the teachers are, but more importantly none of the students are!

In reply to Bruce Enting

by Sam Mudle -

-O is short for "output" you'll need to specify a file after that or send it to /dev/null.  If you don't, wget will barf.

In reply to Helen Foster

by susan cheng -

Hi Helen,

Since we have same issue, so I ran the ".../admin/cron.php", after that we just found many expired course's records were removed which the instructors still need them, my question is if is there any choices we can bring them back? or the data was deleted permanently?

In reply to susan cheng

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Susan,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'expired courses', however in general, assuming you make regular backups of your site, data deleted by mistake can be retrieved by restoring a site backup.

In reply to Helen Foster

by susan cheng -

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your reply.

I was testing the sending email function after the instructor post the news on News Forum, by running ".../admin/cron.php" (we have never run this file before)the mails were able sent out, but there are more functions in cron.php such as "Removing expired enrolments", since some of courses' Enrolment duration were set to 180 days(the courses were created long time ago by different people), so for these expired courses, users were unassigned after running cron.php which we still have to keep them.

After digging out the database during the weekend, I found all students records are still there (great!), I just need to re_enroll them to the courses then everything come back.

Cheers!

Susan

In reply to susan cheng

by Helen Foster -

Great! Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear you retrieved your data fairly easily. smile