Restoring 1.9 HotPots into 2.3

Restoring 1.9 HotPots into 2.3

by Jim Murray -
Number of replies: 11

I'm sorry if this is a repeat of an earlier question, but I can't find it anywhere in these forums. I've just restored a Moodle 1.9.8 course, containing Hot Potato quizes, into our new Moodle 2.3 environment.

Everything in the course restored beautifully, but none of the Hot Potato quizzes are there anymore.....they've disappeared in the 2.3 version of the course.

We do have the HotPot module installed, and its present in our list of modules.

Can anyone tell me why our HotPot activities are invisible?  Did we miss a step in the install (it was done by our hosting service)?  Or is there another step I must do in the restore process (like the Assignment upgrade helper)?

I realize my background information here is a bit scanty, but I'm hoping this is a simple problem, easily solved.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Jim Murray

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Murray

Re: Restoring 1.9 HotPots into 2.3

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jim,

currently the HotPot module for Moodle 2.x doesn't have the functionality to restore from a Moodle 1.9 backup file. A solution has been proposed, but it hasn't been implemented yet. I would love to do it soon, but I am a little busy right now, so I don't think it will get done for at least a couple of months. If you are in a position to sponsor the work, that might change my priorities.

The solution is to upgrade a copy of your whole 1.9 database to Moodle 2.x, and then backup the HotPots from there.

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Jim Murray -

Thanks, Gordon!  That gives me a route to satisfy our teachers who are into the Hot Potatoes!

Jim Murray

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

Can Moodle2.x restore HotPotd to Moodle2.x?

Thanks,
Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Jeff, yes. What is behind your question? Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

Yeah, I should have explain what I was up to.

Short answer:

I was going to build a couple of courses in on my own 2.2 server and restore them on district 2.2 when it was ready.

Long story:

My district is migrating to Moodle 2.2 from tried and true 1.9, hence my questions of several weeks ago. My Advanced Placement Chemistry kids have to do work on Moodle over the summer. There were several QuizPorts that were due by July 1 or they would get bounced out. Many did get formal notification that they were being dropped. The district has not been communicative as to when the change would occur. Because we were told to make back ups by the end of June, I would have expected the change over by. I just checked the status of my "help" ticket and it says that they are expecting to have it up by early to mid August.

Now I have more work for the students that will be due at the beginning of school Sept 4. While there are links to videos* they can watch one the old moodle I have hidden the QuizPort. I was planning to have the HotPots set on the new 2.2. I want to allow kids time to get work done should any go on some sort of vacation just prior to the start of school. Also I was going to add some new material.

Additinally, I wanted to start setting up the first-triemester Moodle. I tested out restoring from 1.9 to 2.2 but did not like the results even if it worked. What I have done is restored school Moodle course to my own 1.9 Moodle which I will use as a reference.

Given that HotPots backup and restore 2.2 to 2.2, I was planning on building the summer Moodle and the first trimester Moodle on my own server and then do a quick backup and restore to the school one in a matter of minutes. That way it is working and complete right away.

Thanks,

Jeff

*My lectures are all online. I have implemented the "flipped class" model for AP Chem.

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

Dear Jeff,
thank for the extra info. I think your plan will work. You will be able to backup the HotPots on your own Moodle 2.x and transfer them across to the school site.

The QuizPort activities should stay behind the scenes on the Moodle 2.x site that you updated from Moodle 1.9. At a later date, the TaskChain module will be to reclaim those hidden QuizPort activities and convert them to TaskChain activities, which you should then be able to backup and restore to the school's Moodle 2.x

regards
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Jim,

I have implemented a preliminary version of the Moodle 1.9 -> 2.x restore functionality to the HotPot module for Moodle 2.x. It seems to work OK on the simple courses I was testing on, but I would like to ask your help to confirm it works on a "real" course. 

Please could you download the latest version and try it out on your server.

Any strangeness, please let me know.

thanks
Gordon

by Sebastian Tennant -

Hi Gordon,

One of my users had some Hot Potatoes quizzes in Moodle 1.9.  I migrated her course to Moodle 2.x quite some time ago (and lost the Hot Potatoes quizzes in the process).  She has developed the course substantially since then and would now like her Hot Potatoes quizzes back.

We are running Moodle 2.3 so we can install the latest version of your Hot Potatoes module, but what do you advise we do after that?

Is there a way of somehow extracting the Hot Potatoes quizzes from the Moodle 1.9 course (which is still accessible) and adding those quizzes to the new, improved course in Moodle 2.3?

Or should she just re-upload her quizzes in the native Hot Potatoes format (as generated by the standalone client)?

I've never used Hot Potatoes so I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Any help very much appreciated.

Sebastian

In reply to Sebastian Tennant

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Sebastian,
the HotPot module for Moodle 2.x now has functionality to allow a Moodle 1.9 backup file to be converted to a Moodle 2.x backup file. Actually, I am not sure off the top of my head how to initiate it, but hopefully you will be able to work that out for yourself.

Once the Moodle 1.9 file is converted to a Moodle 2.x backup file, you can restore the HotPot activities individually to specific courses on the Moodle 2.x server, or you can restore the entire course.

Note that in order to ensure that the HotPot files are transferred across, you should be sure to include all course files in the Moodle 1.9 backup.

Also, the 1.9 -> 2.x conversion does not transfer any user data, so you will end up with *only* the courses and their activities. FYI, glossary entries and database entries count as user data and will not survive the conversion.

best regards
Gordon 

by Doris Johnson -

Hello, Gordon

I am upgrading from 1.9 to 2.2. I have several hot potato quizzes. Could I just republished them to the Moodle 2.2 version?

In reply to Doris Johnson

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Doris,
as long as the HotPot module for Moodle 2.x is installed in the Moodle 2.2 site, then your HotPot activities will also be upgraded and will be available in the Moodle 2.2 site.

You can of course recreate the HotPot activities in the Moodle 2.2 site, if that is what you want to do.

regards
Gordon