Updating an Object

Updating an Object

by Hal MacLean -
Number of replies: 3

I am trying to update a Scorm object in a course with a revision that corrects typos and small changes to the text in some pages.

What is the recommended procedure to do this so as not to lose any student data/scores, etc? 

I simply want to fix the errors in the object and maintain all of the scores already attained. 

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hal MacLean

Re: Updating an Object

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

as long as you don't change the indentifiers in your imsmanifest.xml then simply uploading a new zip should work as expected. There were a few bugs in earlier versions of Moodle 1.9 that caused issues but the latest 1.9Stable and 2.xStable versions should operate as expected.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Hal MacLean -

Thanks for the response Dan - what I am finding is that if I edit the Scorm settings and specify a new object, the original scores are getting removed.

Is there a specific set of steps I need to do to ensure this is not the case?

I am also testing external repositories to try to get this working, but would far rather be able to just upload a new object directly into the course. Would it be a useful thing if there was a checkbox alongside the Scorm object uploader that allowed you to say this is an updated version of the existing object, and this in turn would force Moodle to retain the scores from the original object and apply them to the updated one?

In reply to Hal MacLean

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Hal, 

scores are only deleted for tracks that no longer exist in the package. If you don't change the identifiers in imsmanifest.xml then nothing should get deleted. The SCORM does update the scoids against each sco when a new package is added to help prevent issues around browser caching etc but it shouldn't delete anything if the imsmanfest.xml file hasn't changed. If you change the identifiers in imsmanifest.xml you will orphan existing content in the scorm tables so it removes the orphaned data.