A way to add logo without writing code?

A way to add logo without writing code?

by Susan Miller-Curley -
Number of replies: 5

Hi - I am using Moodle 2.1 and looking to insert my logo into the header of my front page at the top.  Is there a way to do this without rewriting code?  I am just a teacher - not a programmer - thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Miller-Curley

Re: A way to add logo without writing code?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You should not need to write any code. You could select a theme that supports a logo url as the afterburner theme (see picture). Or upload a new logo file to the appropriate directory for other themes that support a logo.

Make sure you turn theme designer on when you do this otherwise changes get cached and you will not see changes that have actually happened.

Attachment logoplace.jpg
In reply to Marcus Green

by Adrian Baker -

Hi there

I have just spent about an hour trying to do exactly what you said here with the Afterburner theme.

I went to the page you show, and put the correct url in the box for my logo. This was just a test logo to see how things worked... BUT, no matter what I try, the new logo won't appear and the 'Afterburner' default remains!

Any idea why this is? I'm using Moodle 2.3 and am getting very frustrated.

Does the logo you replace the original with have to be an exact size? If so, can I change this?

Here's the logo I was using... or trying to use!

http://bscphysics.co.uk/moodlebackup/Physicslogo.gif

Hope you can help

Thanks

In reply to Adrian Baker

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

When working on your theme you need to enable Theme Designer Mode in the theme settings page Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme settings

In reply to Susan Miller-Curley

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

It all depends whch version of Moodle you are using.

Moodle 1.9.x has a theme called Standard Logo where you only need to upload an image called logo.jpg (.gif or .png) to your Site Files and it shows up on your site. It's as easy as that.

Some Moodle 2.0.x themes do something similar, but you need to have your logo.jpg (.gif or .png) uploaded somewhere already, like Flikr or if you have access to your own Moodle server you can upload it to a designated area set aside for your images. Once you have the URL (web address) of the image you want to use all you need to do is find one of the themes that allows you to add a logo, then as Marcus pointed out, you just add the URL in the box provided and save your settings and that's it.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Susan Miller-Curley -

Thanks!  I ended up using the formal white theme and learned a bit about creating a URL for the image.  Found a good YouTube video that showed how to create an image URL using an HTML block:

Also found this free web-based site for resizing transparent png images:

http://pixlr.com/editor/

Average of ratings: Useful (1)