How does peer review work?

How does peer review work?

by Michael Aherne -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi, could someone help me understand how peer review works in the Moodle Tracker, please? I've read http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Process thoroughly but I'm still not getting it! (At least, I understand the process of peer review - it's mostly how it works in JIRA that isn't clear)

I've created a few patches for bugfixes and things recently but when I want to have them peer reviewed I think sometimes there's a "request peer review" button and other times there's a "start peer review" button. Am I imagining this, and, if not, under what circumstances do they appear?

Also, if I understand correctly, if I don't select a specific peer reviewer when requesting a peer review then Moodle HQ will pick it up at some point. Is this only if the issue is assigned to "moodle.com", or does it happen anyway?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I'm still a bit puzzled by the whole process!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Aherne

Re: How does peer review work?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think the request peer review button only appears if the bug is assigned to you. If you are proposing a fix, it is perfectly reasonable to assign the bug to yourself.

You should leave the 'peer reviewer' field blank, unless you have a good reason to name a specific person.

The theory is that people at HQ keep an eye on bugs that are in the 'waiting for peer review' state. That used to be really terrible. It has got a bit better recently, since Dan Poltawski seems to have taken it upon himself to keep on top of reviewing.

Speaking as someone who does peer review (for quiz and question issues), the following things make the reviewer's life easier:

1. Write the testing instructions.
    • This is one less thing for the reviewer to do if the patch is good enough to submit for integration.
    • It can help the reviewer determine whether you have really understood the problem, the solution, and all the potential unintended side-effects of the change.
    • It gives the reviewer some reason to believe you have acutally tested the change yourself wink
    • (Speaking as a developer, I find writing the testing instructions helpful, because it is not uncommon to find that as I write them, I think of more possible bad side-effects or things I should test, and hence find problems with my fix that require it to be revised. Nice link with Moodle's Pedagogy: "we learn by expressing something for others to see.)
  2. Supply the fix as a git commit, either a branch on github, or a git format-patch.
    • And please get the commit comment right.
    • The commit comment is a good place to explain the change, if it is not completely clear from the code or the comments. This is another good opportunity for you to make it clear to the reviewer that you understand the problem and the implications of your change.
  3. Do not include irrelevant code clean-up in the commit.
    • If the code is a real mess, then what you can do is make one commit to fix the code formatting, but which verifiably does not make any functional change, and a separate minimal commit that actually fixes the bug. https://github.com/timhunt/moodle/compare/master...MDL-34483 is currently a good example of that.
  4. Write code that is clearly correct.
    • I hope this goes without saying! When you are writing code, you are writing to communicate clearly with other developers.
    • Of course, any new code should follow the coding style (but see above about not making irrelevant changes to existing code, that make the change harder to understand).
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Michael Aherne -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks, Tim - that's made it much clearer! So the "start peer review" button is intended for the peer reviewer rather than the developer?

In reply to Michael Aherne

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes.

(Though I always forget to click it. I typically just review the patch and comment on the bug. Then I notice the bug is in the wrong state, so then I have to click Start peer reveiw then Finish peer review, thereby spamming all the watchers with three emails, rather than one.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Michael Aherne -

I'm afraid I may have spammed rather a lot of people while trying to work out whether that was the right button to use!