group view permissions

group view permissions

by Yoni Lerner -
Number of replies: 5

I have a course with several groups. The course is configured to separate groups.

Each group has a non-editing teacher. By definition, the non-editing teacher can view all the group students in the course, but I, However, want him to view only his specific group students. In order to do so, I’ve disabled his role permission in these options:

1.  Manage groups – moodle/course:managegroups
  2. View groups – moodle/site:accessallgroups

This works flawlessly in the gradebook and members modules where he no longer has the choice to switch between groups. 

The workshop module is a different story, as he can see all the course students submissions instead of just his own. I’ve tried to play with the workshop permissions option, and disabled the teacher from: 

1. View all assignments - mod/workshop:viewallsubmissions 

But now, instead of viewing just his student’s submissions, he can’t see anything at all. 

Is there a way to work it out?  

Thanks smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yoni Lerner

Re: group view permissions

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

What Moodle version are you using? Groups related issues were addressed in Moodle 2.3 release.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Yoni Lerner -

David, I'm using Moodle 2.2.1

Hmmm, I just saw this one...

In reply to Yoni Lerner

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yeah, let me suggest to upgrade to 2.3. That should fix your issue.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Leon Huang -

Hi David, just want to know if this will effect the allocation of reviews?

Thanks.

In reply to Leon Huang

by David Mudrák -

Hi Leon. The random allocation of reviews has not been modified since its introduction in 2.0. That means that

• in Visible groups mode, the Random allocator tries to pick reviewers from all groups in a balanced way,
  • in Separate groups mode, the Random allocator picks reviewers only from the group the author is member of,
  • and the reviewer's Access all groups capability is not taken into account intentionally.