Participant pictures don't appear on My Moodle mobile app

Re: Participant pictures don't appear on My Moodle mobile app

by Joe Feria -
Number of replies: 0

I’m following up from my previous post with the hopes someone will chime in regarding our inability to view participant profile pictures on My Moodle 1.1.1 mobile app on Moodle 2.3.1. Yes, I know the My Moodle is no longer supported but I think this issue is related more to the architecture of Moodle itself, and not directly to the mobile app. To confirm the problem isn’t the My Moodle, I enrolled in Moodle.org and I’m able to see participant pictures just fine using the mobile app.

The picture feature on the mobile app is important because a new cohort is starting next week and linking pictures, bios and phone numbers is probably one of the most useful features of the mobile app as we begin our hybrid program and community building.

I’ve searched various settings and preferences in Moodle 2.3.1 but nothing has worked.  I thought I found something via Site administration>Security>Site Policies>Force users to login to view user pictures - but changing this setting didn’t help. 

To help troubleshoot, I contacted a coder and asked his opinion regarding possible solutions.  He isn’t familiar with Moodle but he let me know that it is common for some platforms to create thumbnail files and scripts that function as pointers - but they often get misdirected or the pictures are incorrectly resized.  This sparked interest because the problem started when I batch imported user pictures via the administrative setting Users>Accounts>Upload user pictures (I used the username attribute and a .zip file with jpg images.)  The batch import automatically created .png files which work fine within the Web version of the Moodle, but not on the mobile app. 

Because I am still learning the various Moodle administrative roles I need help explaining the Moodle architecture to my local coder.  Where are the Participant Profile pictures actually stored?  Does the batch import method I describe above create pointer scripts and thumbnails?  If so, where can they be found on our server directory?  Would the mobile app have a different folder for these profile images?  Are there administrative settings within Moodle that allow me to manage these processes?

Any help is appreciated!