I have an idea....about student enrollments.

I have an idea....about student enrollments.

by Athena Winchester -
Number of replies: 6

Anybody have any ideas on how an admin might go about making a student a member of all the courses all at once?  So you don't have to go into each course and add them.   I have several ideas, but have no idea how to code them.  So, I thought I would post my idea here and maybe a coder can hook up with me and together we can make a working add-on or something?

1. You go to Admin--->Users--->Edit users accounts.  Click on a user you want to add to a course (notice I said, to a course, not to the whole college).  The page that comes up right now has the following information:

Rev. Lady Athena

Address:

Phone:

Email address:

<font color="#000000">revladyathena@covenofenchantedlight.com</font> 

Web page:

http://www.covenofenchantedlight.com

Courses:

The Lounge, Light A Candle, Animal Magick, Numerology 101, College Community Center, Sabbat & Esbat Elements, The Magickal Bath, Crystals & Stones, Aromatherapy 101, Wand Creation 101, Making & Creating Runes, Coven Mentors Only, Coven Dedicants Only, Coven Community Center, Symbolism & Surrealism 101, Egyptology

Last access:

Wednesday, 23 March 2005, 06:25 PM  (5 mins 30 secs)

The new page might look something like this:

Rev. Lady Athena

Phone: 
Email address:revladyathena@covenofenchantedlight.com 
Web page:http://www.covenofenchantedlight.com
Courses:The Lounge, Light A Candle, Animal Magick, Numerology 101, College Community Center, Coven Mentors Only, Coven Dedicants Only, Coven Community Center, Symbolism & Surrealism 101, Egyptology
Available Courses:Sabbat & Esbat Elements,
The Magickal Bath,
Crystals & Stones,
Aromatherapy 101,
Wand Creation 101,
Making & Creating Runes

Last access:Wednesday, 23 March 2005, 06:25 PM  (5 mins 30 secs)

or you could of course just have a button that says add user to all courses.  But I thought the first idea was better.  What do you all think?  smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Athena Winchester

Re: I have an idea....about student enrollments.

by Darren Smith -
We currently have 128 (and expanding) courses so that would be a big list! I know a lot of people here would have a lot more. Thousands perhaps?

Have you looked at the new metacourse feature in 1.5?
In reply to Darren Smith

by Dennis Daniels -
Could you give us a little two -three liner how-to in terms of setting up a meta course? I've got cvs 23March running and I'd really like to see if I can start using meta courses as a way to set up libraries of courses, quizzes and lessons.

thanks!

Dennis
In reply to Dennis Daniels

by Martín Langhoff -
I assume you have courses with students already in them. Create a new course, and in the course configuration/options page, at the bottom, there's an option to make it a metacourse. Set it to yes wink

Now, go to the "students" page, where you'd normally enrol/unenrol students -- the link may have changed name -- and you'll see a list of courses. Add a few courses that already have students.

Now go to the participants list, and you'll see that all the students from those other courses are in your metacourse as well. When a student enrols to any of the listed courses, they'll magically enrol to your metacourse.

A word of warning: creating too many courses leads to a fragmented user experience. Part of Moodle's appealing UI is the course-centric approach, which can be easily spoiled by a proliferation of courses. Oh, and it's alpha code.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Athena Winchester -

>>>>Create a new course, and in the course configuration/options page, at >>>>the bottom, there's an option to make it a metacourse. Set it to yes wink

I do not have this option.  Is this for 1.5?  I have 1.4.3 right now.