Available courses list with Non-Assigned Teacher

Available courses list with Non-Assigned Teacher

by Jean Michel -
Number of replies: 10

Hi, I have 2 example courses:

I have "teacher" role as system role:

Now, I assign one created user the role of Teacher:

And the result is...

What? I only assigned the teacher role to an existing user account. I don't want that teacher to be assigned to ALL my courses!

I think the problem is only in the listing, because if I enter each course to see the users, I don't see the teacher in them. Example viewing course #1:

Am I doing something bad? Why in the course list it appears the teacher before I assign her to any course? this is a mess...

Jean.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean Michel

Re: Available courses list with Non-Assigned Teacher

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You say you assigned the teacher the system role of teacher? You mean  you added them in the system context? That means they will be in all your courses. If you only assign them in each individual course then they will only have in their course list the courses that you want them to be in.

Before you assign any teachers, they will be able to see the names of all courses - the same for students - because potentially they could be enrolled or enrol themselves into all courses. Once they have been correctly enrolled into a course then they should only see the link to that course.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jean Michel -

Ooops!. There was a problem with some images that I added to the post. I copy-paste the images to the post (using clipboard) and I was able to see them, so I think they were going to be attached, but it seems they didn't. Well this is another question... :p

I think because of that, you probably didn't understand exactly what I meant.

I try to explain it again:

I have a system Teacher role without users. When I see my list of courses I have this:

Now, I assign a new user as a teacher:

What I don't understand is that in the list of courses, now it appears the new user I have assigned the role of teacher:

It shouldn't happen, I think. In fact, when I access the course info, the teacher user is not enrolled.

In reply to Jean Michel

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I need to investigate system roles a bit more - I hope to get back to you later today and in the meantime let's see what suggestions others have.

By the way -have you enrolled the teachers in the  courses or ONLY via Settings>Site administration>Assigns system roles?

When I allow the teacher role in the system and add a teacher via Assign system roles they don't appear in the course as a teacher and they are not enrolled in the course but they do appear in the course as "other users" in the course administration>users>other users

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jean Michel -

Hi Mary,

By the way -have you enrolled the teachers in the  courses or ONLY via Settings>Site administration>Assigns system roles?

Only Assign System roles. The two courses were without any teacher and I didn't enroll anyone except students. 

When I allow the teacher role in the system and add a teacher via Assign system roles they don't appear in the course as a teacher and they are not enrolled in the course

Mine exaclty the same. I have no teachers enrolled, but in the list of the current courses, they appear as teachers and I don't know why:

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

Ok- some clarification needed here.

To assign teachers sitewide you need to go to Settings>Site admin>users>permissions>define roles and either add the  "system"context to the teacher role or make a new role based on the teacher and give it the system context. You need also (to avoid the "you cannot enrol in this course" message to give them the capability http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Capabilities/moodle/course:view

so they can access all courses.

*They won't appear in the participants or in the enrolled users list but they will appear in "other users"

* Go to Settings>site administration>Appearance>Courses and make sure this role is NOT checked if you don't want their names to appear as teachers in the courses (or make sure it IS checked if you do want them to appear!)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jean Michel -

You helped me again  smile

Key: when you told me "Go to Settings>site administration>Appearance>Courses and make sure this role is NOT checked"

What you told me before about how to to assign teachers sitewide is just what I did before adding the question in the forum, so my unique problem was I had the rol of teacher checked by default!.

In my example the teacher had no relationship at all with any of the courses (she only was assinged the rol of teacher and nothing more), but I could see it in the course listing as teacher. This is very confusing, I think, and should be reviewed. The fact of being teacher (system wide) should not imply she's the teacher of all the non-asigned courses.

In reply to Jean Michel

by Mary Cooch -

Greatsmile But actually I disagree with your last sentence re The fact of being teacher (system wide) should not imply she's the teacher of all the non-asigned courses. I'd have thought that was exactly what it would imply, at least in Moodle terms. Moodle doesn't operate in the same way the "real world" does; ie, yes when I go to my  school, I am a "teacher" but I only actually teach in the French class not the Maths class for instance. However, when I log into Moodle, I am an "authenticated user" and in theory could be a student in the Maths class and a teacher of the French class. So there is normally no need to give me the role of teacher sitewide unless I needed to teach in all of the courses. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jean Michel -

Yes Mary, I was thinking in real life where a teacher is usually teacher in a learning center and not student. One of the reasons I use system-wide-teacher-role is also not to define always the role for a person I now is teacher for each course. She or he by default will have that role by default, and in exceptional situations I could assign them different roles in different courses.

And lastly: Do you think it makes sense to see all the system-wide-tearchers as teachers of all the courses in the course listing even they are not enrolled in them?. I think they only should appear if they are enrolled in the course, not always. I will be a system teacher and i'm not going to manage all the courses...

So, I understand what you say but I continue seeing a little odd the current behaviour.

In reply to Jean Michel

by Mary Cooch -

By "course listing" do you mean the list we talked about earlier, where a teacher appears under the name of the course? No  -it doesn't make sense for site wide teachers to appear there unless they are enrolled as teachers I agree. But then - if you are going to enrol them as a teacher there is no need to have them made sitewide teacher anywaysmile

As for yourself, you don't have to be a system teacher yourself if you are admin as you can always get into all the courses.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jean Michel -

en effet Mary smile I think I've seen the light smile

Thanks!