Moodle and WordPress

Moodle and WordPress

by Jason Becker -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I am starting my own online website on WordPress geared toward a certification program for students.  I really like WordPress because it's like a website, but was wondering if anyone knew of having Moodle installed as a plug-in to WordPress?  Is it even a plug-in for WordPress?  Or, would I have to link Moodle up to WordPress, which wouldn't be a big deal anyways. 

Also, does anyone have experience using both of these at the same time?  Is it a smart idea?  I understand the popularity of both and I really like both, even though I haven't used Moodle yet, I do realzie the potential of it.  Some may be wondering why I am using WordPress right now and it's because of the fact that you can make your own educational website, while using the blog feature, which I like and understand some institutions are tyring this and it's working! 

Thanks, and I hope to hear back some suggestions and comments on this!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Becker

Re: Moodle and WordPress

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jason,

I use both Moodle and Wordpress. Moodle has a blog but it isn't very easy to use and learners can't export their blogs to any useful format to take it with them after their courses have finished, as far as I know.

I use them separately and encourage learners to start their own blogs for life-long learning wherever it's appropriate. For shorter projects, I use a Wordpress network so that learners can see that they're contributing to a community. You may even want to try BuddyPress. Wordpress supports password access to posts and whole blogs for privacy and a safe, private learning environment.

Have you also considered Elgg? (http://elgg.org) It's an open source microblogging platform, like Facebook, especially engineered for elearning. It can integrate with Moodle but only as a master, not as a slave, as far as I know.

I hope this helps! smile

P.S. Wrote a blog post on it: http://blog.matbury.com/2012/01/08/safe-social-networking-alternatives/

In reply to Matt Bury

Re: Moodle and WordPress

by Jason Becker -

Matt,

Thanks for responding to me so quickly!  Anyways, no I haven't heard of elgg.org.  I did view it and am impressed with it.  There are so many platforms out there for e-learning these days, it's unbelievable. 

Anyways, since I already started on WordPress, I'll probably stick to that right now.  With WordPress, I'm looking to start basically an online certificate program within sports studies.  I feel WordPress, at least with what I've come across so far, gives me a great opportunity to do that successfully.  I kind of want to mix e-learning blogging with actual learning on WordPress to give a new, rich online feel to it.  I guess more people are using WordPress, as with other platforms, for educational purposes and that's what I'm shooting for.   What else do you think or what suggestions do you have for me?