Assignment 2.3 - Comment Inline?

Assignment 2.3 - Comment Inline?

by Jim Murray -
Number of replies: 20

Hello everyone!  I am getting our new 2.3 Moodle site ready for introduction to a large group of teachers used to 1.9.  Everything looks fine so far, but I'm having a problem with Online Text Assignments.

Our teachers like to comment inline, and yet I can't find the setting on an Online Text Assignment that allows me to set my comments inline.  In 1.9 there was an obvious setting....but is commenting inline still available in the 2.3 version of Assignments?

I have a feeling this is something simple I'm glossing over, but I would greatly appreciate anyone's help with finding this crucial function.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Murray

Re: Assignment 2.3 - Cannot comment inline

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Actually - I can't find it either and I tell people about this option all the time.. I hope someone comes along to tell us we have missed something...

Just to clarify, as I looked in the tracker for "comment inline assignment"  - I think you and I mean that teachers get the students' work in the feedback box and they can edit it, strike through words, highlight in red etc... the tracker entries for "comment inline " seem to relate to a different interpretation.

Actually- I do hope I have missed something because this is a major regression if not...

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jim Murray -

Yes, Mary, that was what I was talking about when refering to "comment inline".  The teachers I train relate well to the inline comments because they've spent a career marking papers (in the dreaded red pen); I've found they are much more likely to try using the online text assignment when they hear about that feature.

I've done searches in this site for the topic, and, like you, seem to have found this terminology isn't "right", somehow.  But if the 2.3 Assignment activity has lost this feature, our teachers won't be happy.

Thanks for your comments.

In reply to Jim Murray

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

OK - I am "upping" this in the hope that somebody notices and responds; if not, I will add it to the tracker.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

Added to the tracker - if we have missed something then it certainly is difficult to find! MDL-34432

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jim Murray -

Thanks Mary!

In reply to Jim Murray

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Jim,

It is my understanding, that for a while you will still have the old version of assignment creatation available which of course works like your used to and you can comment inline for online text. Just have to make sure that you do not upgrade the assignment with the Assignment Upgrade Tool.

You can do the same thing with the new assignment, but with two small differences. When you create the new version online text assignment, you just have to remember to set the Feedback Settings to Yes which will give the feedback editing area that you are used to. And the other small thing is that the grader will have to copy and paste the students writing in there, themselves, and then do their marking like before.

So possibly the tracker item that Mary added just needs to ask to have the writing automatically added to the feedback area like we are used to.

HTH,

AL

PS: I just realized there is a major inconvenience problem with the new assignment when set for online text. You cannot see the submitted text and a scoring rubric at the same time. When you click to grade a student submission, it is only showing about the first four lines of text with the complete scoring rubric below it. You have to click a View Submission toolbutton which then opens the complete text but makes everything else disappear. Gotta go play with this some more to see if I am missing a setting somewhere and if it does the same thing when set to use a marking guide.

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Al I'd worked out about the feedback setting to "yes" but the (quote)  other small thing is that the grader will have to copy and paste the students writing in there, themselves, and then do their marking like before is not acceptable as it's a regression from 1.9 and teachers won't want to bother doing this.

Re your other issues I will go and have a play myself as wellsmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mary,

I agree, it is definitly a regression from 1.9. The other issues...I have just tried with all three grading methods...and even changed to three different themes...and none of the three let you see the complete text while the grading area is visible. To me that is a big show stopper!

Back to playing...23 days and counting to next term,

AL

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steve Lewis -

Hi Mary,

When a student "resubmits" an assignment the Feedback box is always blank where in Assignment 2.2 the Feedback Box opens with the teacher's previous feedback the way it should continue to work.   This allows for a continuous conversation between the teacher and student about the assignment.    Losing the previous teacher's feedback each time makes the new assignment module unusable.   Telling teachers to remember to cut and paste in previous feedback is not a solution.   I hope this will be fixed in the next release.  

In reply to Steve Lewis

Re: Assignment 2.3 - Teacher feedback not continuous

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Steve. I will do some testing on this and go and look in the tracker to see if it has already been reported -and if not, then report it. Unless you want to do so in the meantime; please feel free to. Your issue is slightly different from the one in this forum thread so I have edited the subject title accordingly.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Assignment 2.3 - Teacher feedback not continuous

by Steve Lewis -

Actually it's not so different than the current thread.   "Comment Inline" happens in the Feedback box.   In Assignment 2.2 when "Comment Inline" was checked the Feedback Box included the Student's Submission and Previous teachers comments combined.    In Assignment 2.2 when the "Comment Inline" was Unchecked and the student resubmits the assignment the teacher's previous written comments showed up in the Feedback box.    

The way it works now the Feedback box is always blank and what the teacher types in the Feedback box overwrites the teacher's previous comments.  

So when the "Comment Inline" reappears in a future updated version we need the functionality to work exactly as it used to work.      

Mary, can you make sure the bug tracker explains this properly.

Thank you,

-Steve Lewis

In reply to AL Rachels

by Jim Murray -

AL - It seems I have to use the Assignment Upgrade Tool, because when I restore a 1.9 course into 2.3, any activities using the Assignment Tool are missing from the 2.3 version UNTIL I use the Assignment Upgrade Tool....after that use, all the Assignment activities are again visible.

But they are lacking the "comment inline" capability.  I have not enabled the "Assignment 2.2" plugin, believing I didn't need it.  Might that have an impact on regaining the "comment inline" ability?

Thanks!

In reply to Jim Murray

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Jim - no - I have created assignments on a brand new 2.3 and I still cannot comment inline. I have updated the tracker entry MDL-34432 and also added Al's workaround.

In reply to Jim Murray

by Damyon Wiese -

Hi AL,

The 1.9 assignments are not showing because you have the Assignment 2.2 plugin disabled. Enabling that module will let you use the old assignment module instead of the new one which has the comment inline feature. We missed this feature when building the new module but it certainly easy to add (once I find some time to do it).
Adding this to the tracker as Mary has done is the best way to report missing features like this.

Regards - Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Mary Cooch -

Thanks for that Damyon; we're hoping in my area to move to 2.3 in the UK autumn and this is a feature that's really used a lotbig grin

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Jim Murray -

Damon - thanks for the comments and insight.  I did notice early on something called the "assignment 2.2" plug-in, and left it disabled since I wanted to move completely into 2.3. 

I'm also encouraged by your willingness to add the "comment inline" feature to the 2.3 Assignment module.  Once that is done, will it require the download and install a new Assignment module, or will it be part of a larger. overall Moodle upgrade?

Thanks!

Jim Murray

In reply to Jim Murray

by Dave Madsen -

So has there been a fix to this problem? Has the comment inline feature been made available? This is a big issue...

In reply to Dave Madsen

by Derek Chirnside -

Dave, check out the tracker.  http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-34432  At least make a vote on it, and if you like a comment.

This issue has been dark for over a month, and no official response yet.  here's hoping.

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Derek Chirnside

by David Richards -

I updated my Moodle 2.3.1 install to the latest weekly build and this problem appears to be fixed in that build. I have my teachers testing it today. Here's hoping!

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Jeremy Schambaugh -

After looking at this issue on the tracker I found that there was a fix posted by Raymond Antonio about a month ago that he posted here:

https://github.com/raymondAntonio/moodle/commit/52be1e6597c6a4acbe8cdadbe61d3dd1e6753743

Except after I added all the changes I still cannot get it to work because the Feedback box does not appear.

Not sure what I'm missing.