Suggestions as to the best way to implement this Quiz

Suggestions as to the best way to implement this Quiz

by Neil Lindholm -
Number of replies: 9

I am going to have a paper quiz of six or seven questions. I need it to be on paper due to complex formatting (it is a Calculus 12 quiz and LaTeX and Moodle just do not yet play together nicely). Of the seven questions, six are multiple choice and one is a graphing or show-your-answer question. My plan was to make a multiple-choice quiz with seven blank questions so the student can make their selection for each while looking at the paper (also doing it on paper). My problem is the one non-multiple choice quesiton. I was going to put one question in the quiz as a true-false and have it hidden so when I mark their quizzes, I would answer that question myself. The problem is that I can't see how to hide a question in a quiz. As well, if the graphing question is worth 2 points, I can't give part marks on a true-false answer. 

I am thinking there must be a more elegant method to solve this than what I am doing. Any suggestions as to the best way for me to impliment this? Again, six or seven questions on a quiz. All but one are multiple choice. Need a method for the students to enter their answers to the multiple-choice questions and for me to give them a mark for the short answer or graphing question. Then everything gets sent to the Moodle Grade Book.  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Neil Lindholm

Re: Suggestions as to the best way to implement this Quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Why not use the essay question type for the graphing question?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Neil Lindholm -

I could do that as well but it still seems somewhat ungaily. That still does not solve the problem of having it invisible while still being in the quiz. 

by Itamar Tzadok -

You can use a cloze question for that. When editing the question, switch to html mode and enter something like <div style="display:none;">{:SA:=mygraph}</div>. The question will appear empty in the quiz. You can also add a note in the question to inform students that the question is deliberately empty. The question will be marked automatically as incorrect but you will override that grade anyway. hth smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Neil Lindholm -

That is kind of how I set it up already. I had the true-false question state "Do not enter anything here. For my marknig use" but it still seems mickey mouse. Is there a way to have it count in the quiz but simply not show up at all for the students? Only for me when I enter a score into it for their final grade on the quiz?

by Itamar Tzadok -

You can try by the question id and css. Look it up with the browser inspector when previewing the quiz and then add to the question in html mode something like

<style type="text/css">#the-question-id{display:none;}</style>

This should hide the whole question. If you specify the selector as

#page-mod-quiz-attempt #the-question-id

the css would be active only in a quiz attempt.

smile

by Neil Lindholm -

Thanks, but I think I am going about this the wrong way. What I want to do doesn't seem so unusual so there must be a better way to impliment it other than editing css files. 

by Itamar Tzadok -

Insofar as what you want is a question type that is a mere placeholder for a manual mark and as such invisible in the quiz attempt, it is probably fairly unusual to the standard Moodle quiz. While someone may have implemented such question type, afaict nothing of that sort has been contributed. You can always commission the development of qtype plugin that does what you need, and your particular requirement should be fairly simple and low cost to develop. smile

by Neil Lindholm -

This is why I am wondering if my entire premise is wrong. I explained my situation. If you (or anyone else) had a quiz that you wanted on Moodle but wanted to enter an extra mark after the quiz was finished, what method would you use?

by Itamar Tzadok -

An offline assignment or a designated grade item in the gradebook. Both are graded manually, the former either in the activity or in the gradebook and the latter in the gradebook. Students will see in their grade report one entry for the MC quiz and another for the graphing. If the response graph will not appear in the quiz review (if you don't scan and upload it to the grade comment) I don't see any particular benefit for having its evaluation in the quiz. smile