Tim, Louis raises a very good question. I have had problems doing the same thing, and I just haven't found time to post this as a bug in Tracker. I'll describe the problem to you, from my perspective.
This semester, I got a new edition of one of my textbooks and I decided to recreate the quiz questions using the author's provided test questions, which started in MS Word format. When I last did this, maybe 3 years ago, I kept very good notes about the entire process, so I thought this would be easy. I too get these Word questions into Examview 4.0.2. Then I export these to XML format, and when I tried importing these into Moodle 2.2.+, (picking import for Examview) it didn't work!
Well, I thought that it might be a problem with my XML file. Fortunately, I still have my old Moodle 1.9 running, so I tried the EXACT import into Moodle 1.9, and it worked fine. To solve my need, I then exported the question back from Moodle 1.9 as a Moodle XML file, then imported it into Moodle 2.2 as a Moodle XML file. Guess what, this worked!
So, I concluded that Moodle 2.2 must have some problem with its "Import from Examview" routine.
I am attaching one of my Examview XML files (Ch02.xlm). I don't know if you have the ability to try anything in 1.9, but I can assure you that this file imported fine in 1.9, but not in 2.2.
I am also attaching (the long named file), the XML export file from 1.9, which will import into Moodle 2.2, in my next post (can only attach one file here).
Based on your response, I might need to finally put this into the Tracker system, but I thought I would let you think about it now that you have two files.