Updated Collapsed Topics for Moodle 1.9, 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2

Updated Collapsed Topics for Moodle 1.9, 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear all,

I have just updated Collapsed Topics for Moodle 1.9, 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 in the plugins database and GitHub (https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-format_topcoll/tags).

All versions fix an issue whereby hidden sections that were not displayed caused open / close all toggles to operate incorrectly.

The cookie monster has eaten the cookies but left the last one for the 1.9 version.  Therefore all Moodle 2 versions use Tim Hunt's excellent user preferences AJAX functionality.  This eliminates the need to support the UK / EU cookie law in these versions - at least until the law catches up with the fact that nothing has changed in terms of data but just the way it is implemented - therefore users will not need to be presented with the 'accept cookies' option.  I have been told by many that cookies are an old form of functionality and should be removed as soon as practicable.

From now on I intend to add new functionality to the Moodle 2.3+ versions and only put bug fixes in these ones.  If you have not upgraded to at least Moodle 2.2 from Moodle 1.9 then I recommend that you do.  Moodle 1.9 now feels to me like working with 5 1/4 inch floppy disks on a 80286 with a 20Mb MFM Hard Disk.

Cheers,

Gareth

Developer of Collapsed Topics

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Updated Collapsed Topics for Moodle 1.9, 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Garreth

I don't suppose that collapsible topics or collapsible weeks format could be made to work with Davo Smith's "Drag-and-Drop Upload" block in Moodle 1.9?  Or rather, the question should perhaps be asked in the opposite direction: can "Davo Smith's Drag-and-Drop Upload" block be made to work in the Collapsible Weeks/Topics course format. In which case, I'll have to ask that question in the Contributed Plugins forum...

At the moment for my Moodle 1.9.15 site, I have to switch to the default Weekly format (a.k.a. the Scroll Of death format) to make use of the Drag and Drop Upload feature, and then switch back to the Collapsible Weeks format for Moodle 1.9. It's bearable, but inconvenient.

I guess the solution for this is for me to upgrade to Moodle 2.4 since M2.4 has its own native drag-and-drop and works well with your optimised Collapsible Topics course format, eh?

BTW, thanks for all the different versions of course formats over these years! I'm still using your Collapsible Weeks format.

Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Frankie,

Over a year ago I worked with Davo to make the then 2.0 version work with Collapsed Topics / Weeks and the fix was quick -> https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-block_dndupload/commit/926cbe67bb1f35c4071df63f9a213181230327f7

You could try and see if it would work with the 1.9 version of Drag and Drop.

I can't remember exactly when Drag and Drop became a part of core, perhaps 2.2 so you would not have to upgrade so far.  And to be honest, 2.4 makes 1.9 look like a fossilised dinosaur so worth upgrading anyway.

Thanks for using the format smile, cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Drag and drop was core from 2.3 (but yes, definitely time to upgrade from 1.9 - remembering to go via 2.2)

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Gareth

Many thanks for the swift reply. Your one-year-old collaboration code with Davo Smith works like a beauty! Ah, two lines of changes and my M1.9 production site's usability has gone up by a factor of 3 (at least)! The fossilised dinosaur comes alive!

Simply amazing
Frankie Kam 

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Frankie and Davo,

I may just make the change to the 1.9 d&d in my fork and do a pull request. It is interesting to note that 2.4 core has functionality to have sections within sections as exhibited by Marina Glancy's course format.

Cheers,

Gareth