Problem with starting the installation

Problem with starting the installation

by Dragana Stojiljković -
Number of replies: 3

Hello everybody!smile

I'm trying to install Moodle 1.4 on my computer. I've installed Apache and MySQL. I am using WinXP. Every time I type in IE localhost/moodle/install.php I get this:

Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING' in ./lib/moodlelib.php on line 1102

Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING' in ./lib/weblib.php on line 838

Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_STRING' or `T_VARIABLE' or `'$'' in ./lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 837

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: notify() in ./lib/weblib.php on line 144

Warning: open(/tmp\sess_e8e81ec792603dfe7d0793394fe0750a, O_RDWR) failed: m (2) in ./lib/weblib.php on line 0

Warning: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in ./lib/weblib.php on line 0

Thanks,

Gaga

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dragana Stojiljković

Re: Problem with starting the installation

by Penny Leach -
The fact that you're trying to write sessions to /tmp is problematic really. That would make me suspect that your $CFG->dataroot setting is incorrect.

What I have on those lines are includes for the first two, that use $CFG->libdir and $CFG->dirroot. Perhaps you have some errors in config.php that is causing the includes to fail?

Can you paste your config.php for us? Don't forget to mask your database details.

Also, what EXACT version of moodle 1.4 are you using? 1.4.4? 1.4.4+? Did you get it from CVS or did you download it from the moodle download page?
In reply to Penny Leach

by Penny Leach -
Sorry, I should have said to clarify, moodle changes session.savepath to a directory called 'sessions' inside $CFG->dataroot.

So the fact that you're writing your sessions to /tmp means that something is wrong with dataroot. Probably you've entered it wrong.
In reply to Dragana Stojiljković

by Zach Alexakos -
Dragana,

I had similar problems installing moodle on an XP laptop.  I recommend you do the following: 

Download PHPDEV423 from this link:

http://www.firepages.com.au/phpdev41.htm#download

Its 10.9 Mb.

<>

Double click it to install it to your notebook and it will create a directory called phpdev on C:

>
Within that directory there will be a www folder, copy your uncompressed Moodle folder there.

<>

Now in C:\phpdev look for the 2K-NT-XP-phpdev_start.bat if youre running XP, 98-ME-phpdev_start.bat if you want to run it on 98. Double click this file to start the php Mysql and Apache environment.

> <>

You will need to set up a blank moodle database before you run the moodle install. If you get an error to say so, navigate via your internet browser to http://localhost/phpmyadmin/ and just create a blank database from there.

>  <>

Just name the table moodle and select text for the field type.  Select No Nulls although this shouldn't make a big difference.  Save and exit. 

Try running the Moodle install again by typing http://localhost/moodle/ into your internet browser and you should be away.

> <>

Hope this helps,

Zach Alexakos

>