Moodles moved -now can't see them from home

Moodles moved -now can't see them from home

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Despite the title, this isn't a Moodle query so  that's why I am justifying posting it here If I am mistaken then I am sure the facilitators will gently point me in the right directionsmile

I have what I think is some sort of caching issue that I don't know how to resolve. I have some Moodles and other sites that have been moved by my host to a new server with higher spec and now I can't access them from home - none of my three browsers displays them. However, they do all work fine as I can get to them at work or at friends' houses. (At the moment in order to use them I have to remote in from home  to our school network and go on the internet there!)

I have tried rebooting my computer; deleting browser history, force refresh etc and still can't get them to display. Anything I have missed?  It has been three or four days now since the switch over so I really should be able to access them from home. Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodles moved -now can't see them from home

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Mary,

First of all, it's really nice to see the real you. big grin

While you're waiting for an answer from someone more techie than me, just a couple of suggestions you've probably already thought of: do you have any ad blockers and other addons on your browsers? Have you tried deactivating them. Have you contacted your host? Or looked on their forums?

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Glenys-yes; I deliberated long and hard before displaying the real me (although the avatar is still there in the top corner) but I felt it was about time really. I thought I'd just do it discreetly and hope nobody noticed! As for the sites, I only realised it when the hosts asked me to check everything was working after the server move - when I couldn't see them they suggested I reboot my pc - and my modem actually, which I haven't done. I don't see how turning off and turning on my wifi router (which is what I presume they mean) can have an effect but I suppose it's worth a try. Just the thought of being five minutes offline while I experimentbig grin I have tried on three separate browsers and while I have add ons on Chrome I dont have anything on FF or IE.

by ben reynolds -

Glenys,

I  confirm that the photo is the real MoodleFairy. I saw Ms. Mary at MootUK11.

This is a sort of C.S. Lewis situation. Do we acknowledge the photo or pretend we're still seeing the avatar?

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -

@Ben: How do you know the person you saw at MootUK11 was the real Moodlefairy? 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Ben,

I can confirm that the Moodlefairy I met last year at the MiniMoot in Paris looks very like the photo. Now, how to test if it was the real one - well first, what is reality?

Cheers,

Glenys

What is real about avatars?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi all

Now we have an interesting social phenomenon worth pursuing in the "Lounge". Namely, why is the question whether the avatar of one particular login is real or not relevant whereas it is not so for close to a million other logins?

As the "social" things go, this one too is complicated. Apart from the geek meaning http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(computing) the word has a couple of religious meanings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarnation, .. and to make matters worse, in my country avatar means a ghost!
In reply to Mary Cooch

Hi Mary

When you say "they do all work fine as I can get to them at work or at friends' houses", are you talking of the same computer, a laptop for example, being moved from one network to the other? If so, then it can't be a problem inside the computer.

One possibility is that the new domain is not properly registered in the DNS server you use at home. You can check it with nslookup. In a terminal (Unix shell or Start -> run -> cmd in Windows) and enter nslookup. Hier is a sample session:

; This is a comment
$ nslookup
> server
Default server: SOME-IP-ADDRESS1
Address: SOME-IP-ADDRESS1#53
Default server: SOME-IP-ADDRESS2
Address: SOME-IP-ADDRESS2#53
; These are the name servers your computer use

> YOUR-HOST-NAME
Server: SOME-IP-ADDRESS1
Address: SOME-IP-ADDRESS1#53
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: YOUR-HOST-NAME
Address: THE-IP-ADDRESS
; THE-IP-ADDRESS is the ip-address of YOUR-HOST-NAME

> server 213.138.101.252
Default server: 213.138.101.252
Address: 213.138.101.252#53
; you've asked nslookup to communicate with 213.138.101.252, a public name server in the UK

> YOUR-HOST-NAME
; ... (a similar output as above)

Now check whether 213.138.101.252 gives the same ip-address as earlier. They should be the same. Ideally, either you know the correct ip addres (your hoster has conveyed it to you), then you know what to expect. Oterhwise, repeat the exercise at your school or the friend's place to find the "correct" ip address. If there is a discrepancy, the test was positive!
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Marginally related to the above post: There is an almost universal way of formatting command line "screen shots". This is my adaptation of it: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_Moodle_on_Debian_based_distributions#Typography_and_conventions. The idea is to help the reading in separating what the computer prints from what he hat to type.

Unfortunately the moodle.org forum does not have a convenient solution for that: see '"Plain text format" is not monospace' http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=200351.

by Mary Cooch -

Thanks Visvanath. I will have to digest your suggestion and give it a go. It sounds a bit technical to me but I am up for the challenge and I do want to be able to see my sites at home! I will get back later.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Helen,

But you haven't answered the yes/no question: "are you talking of the same computer, a laptop for example, being moved from one network to the other?" Makes a big difference where to look.

About the "techie" part, the difficult thing is to identify the commands you must type and the output from the computer. As explained in my rant, there is a standard highlighting for it, but the forum of moodle.org doesn't allow Same thing with the place holders like SOME-IP-ADDRESS1. Can't highlight.

by Mary Cooch -

Sorry for the delay replying (I presume you meant Mary, not Helen?) I meant  different computer on a different ISP OR the same laptop on a different ISP. Anyway- in the meantime when I reported it to my host he then got back to me with an apology and said he'd fixed it - and I can see my sites everywhere now. smileHowever, I failed to ask him what exactly he had fixed on my VPS that has now given me accessthoughtful

In reply to Mary Cooch

Hi Mary

I'm very sorry for the messing up the names.

About the ISP: My assumption was then correct, the same laptop works perfectly in one place, but does not work for your site in another.

What did the ISP finally say? I'm interested in knowing whether my guess was correct. They must have updated one name server and forgot to synchronize another?

by Mary Cooch -

Sorry - missed this one earlier. I didn't ask him at the time but I am pretty certain you were right in that he had updated one and forgotten to synchronize the other (else why would he have apologised?wink)