Upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3.1 Gets stuck

Upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3.1 Gets stuck

by John St -
Number of replies: 8

I've done some clear installs of 2.3 for testing, but when I try to upgrade my own 2.2 site to 2.3.1 it seems to get stuck after the plugin check. 

It says: system

Converted unsigned columns in MySQL database - 2/347

Then it just sits there... No progress is made, no errors reported. I let it sit for over an hour and still nothing. Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John St

Re: Upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3.1 Gets stuck

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Switch on Debugging (find section 8 in config-dist.php) and do it again. Anything shown or logged?

The usual reason is a broken entry in a table somewhere but you will need debugging to give you a clue.
In reply to Howard Miller

by John St -

It is turned on. No errors are visible. This was a clean 2.1 (originally) install, so it isn't like it was a 1.9 that has been upgraded multiple times. 

In reply to John St

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Doesn't matter... evidence suggests that there is some incompatible data in a field being upgraded. I don't suppose it's a schema issue which is what you find with old 1.9 sites (or even no-so-old ones).

Did you check your PHP/Apache error log too?
In reply to John St

by Philippe Ramette -

I have the same problem.

In reply to Philippe Ramette

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The number represents the number of the table in your database in alphabetical order - so you can work out what table it is.  Then the code is converting unsigned numbers to signed so I would have I imagine a very large number in the database or a large number of records in that table.

If finding the table proves tricky as it is a large number then try my code that displays the name of the table being converted before it is in this post http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=205378#p901301

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by John St -

i will try this next. I did the query as suggested in the other posting and go this:

mdl_lesson_grades grade double double unsigned

mdl_scorm maxgrade double double

mdl_workshop_assessments_old grade double double

mdl_workshop_elements_old stddev double double

There is very little data in any of these fields. All told there aren't more than a handful of entries (combined) in all of these. The two workshop tables have no data, the scorm table has one entry and the lesson grades table has like 4. 

In reply to John St

by Henry Foster -

John St, did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem. I started the database upgrade, and it went okay for a while, but then it just stopped (at something like "Converted unsigned columns in MySQL database - 149/347"). When I tried reloading, I would get the "Site is being upgraded, please retry later" screen. Now here is the interesting part. If I waited for an hour or more and tried reloading again, the database conversion would start up again from where it had stopped. It would continue for a while and then hang up again. I repeated this process several times (took me all day) and managed to get through the conversion of unsigned columns. But then on the next stage of the database upgrade, I eventually stopped getting any response at all, and I got an error message not from the moodle but from my rental server. Eventually I gave up and restored my installation to 2.2 from backups. I am now trying to convert a different moodle installation, one with a much lighter database, but I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Is anybody else experiencing this? 

In reply to Henry Foster

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi,

I do not dare say, I experienced the same problem, but it sure sounds similar. When we moved from 2.2.3 to 2.3.1 we suffered time outs that stopped the upgrade dead in its tracks.

Somewhere in this thread I described the timeout setting that helped us (also) on this occasion: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=205367

Rgrds,
Paul.