Tools for working on XHTML compliance and accessibility in 1.5

Tools for working on XHTML compliance and accessibility in 1.5

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'll re-mention three indispensible tools for working on this (or any web pages), since it seems not everyone is aware of them. Don't argue, just get them and install them right now big grin
  1. Firefox 1.0.1
  2. Web Developer Extension
  3. HTML Validator Extension (based on Tidy)

Now, comb through your copy of Moodle 1.5 CVS, look for minor display bugs and fix them.

If you don't have write access, please file bug reports in the bug tracker and if you file a lot of good bugs (solutions preferred) I'll give  you write access.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Tools for working on XHTML compliance and accessibility in 1.5

by Juan Aburto -

Martin, how are you..

Is it possible for you to use a class for the buttons, text fields so when we create the css style, we can target this elements using different css colors?

<input class="button" type="submit" value="Submit Button" />
<input class="radio" name="rating" type="radio" value="bad" />

In reply to Juan Aburto

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Phew, that's a huge job ... too big for 1.5.   It seems classes are required and that generic selectors are not possible down to that level.

I am still planning to move to a form class that we would use for all forms - this would be best done then.
In reply to Juan Aburto

by Gav Montague -
It's a bit too bleeding edge to be useful across the board, but  don't actually need the class.  The code below does the same job but it's only supported in your better class of browsers.

input[type="radio"]{ ...}
input[type="text"]{ ...}

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gav Montague

by John Papaioannou -
AFAIK this is supported in Mozilla, Safari and Opera. Now if only Microsoft would consider to grace us with some support in IE 7, it might be a good idea to do it this way (and not in Moodle 1.5).

Personally, I 'm already using it (not in Moodle) much like the rounded corners: if you have a supporting browser, you get extra eye candy. If not, tough luck.

Jon
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Gav Montague -
A related technique to keep the code clean is to have a script cycle through the dom in MSIE only and add the classes in.  Sadly, this requires script support and  can be pretty heavy on older machines.

G