Recommended institutions for PhD in eLearning

Recommended institutions for PhD in eLearning

by David Dunn -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

I'm considering starting a PhD in technology enhanced learning, primarily in relation to language learning (my main job), but also with an interest in extension work in rural communities in developing countries (a more personal project).

My first step is to find a suitable institution that offers PhDs in this area. So far, I've come up with the University of Lancaster (UK), the Open University (UK) and the Open Universiteit (NL) -- the latter may not be well known outside NL, but appears to be very innovative; plus, I live and work in the Netherlands.

I'd be interested in hearing fellow loungers' opinions on recommended instutions, as well as other tips on program format (modular or research only, for example).

Cries of "Don't do it, you fool! You don't know what you're letting yourself in for!" are also welcome, so long as there is a convincing argument clown

I look forward to hearing your insights.

- David

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Dunn

Re: Recommended institutions for PhD in eLearning

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi David,

I just completed a PhD in blended language learning at the University of Melbourne. I had a supervisor who supported qualitative research so it was a wonderful experience. I could do an auto-ethnography of my own 30 years teaching with technologies, an institutional ethnography in another university and three action research cycles in my own university.

Of the schools you mention, I think the Open University NL sounds the most attractive, simply because the educational programs in NL are so innovative (I used to work in an NGO in Brussel, and received many interns from the Netherlands).

If you want to see my thesis or have lots of questions to ask, feel free to email me directly. As for whether to do it or not, I started at age 50 as an end-of-career learning journey. I don't regret it, even though I could have invested the money into my retirement.

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Jeff Stanford -

Hi David and Don

It's good to see this discussion as I've been thinking of doing a similar PhD or EdD myself. I've also considered Lancaster (where I did an MA in Applied Linguistics many years ago) and the UK OU, where a friend is enthusiastic about the possibilities of more practical EdDs.

David, is it possible to do the OU NL degree in English? 

Regards

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Stanford

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by David Dunn -

Hi Alan,

The UK OU does indeed look tempting. Perhaps moreso than Lancaster University. While Lancaster's taught modules offer more security than a "pure" research degree, I'm not sure how relevant all the modules are.

You mention the EdD route: I couldn't find info on the UK OU site to explain the differences between the PhD and EdD programmes. Do you have any info on this?

I agree that the linkup between linguistics (my own background) and elearning seems to be overlooked at this level of research, even though it's an extremely dynamic area in practice.

If I could choose my own subject (unlikely, given that my employer would be funding), I'd look at applying/facilitating technology enhanced learning for extension workers in developing countries. As a translator and editor for publications in this field, it is sobering to realize that the optimistic technological leapfrog (whereby developing countries leap directly from tech version 0.5 to 2.0) is at best partial -- for example mobile banking in Africa -- and certainly lacking in education. It may not be as sexy as "Neural networking in virtual cognitive eSp@ce" clown, but could really make a difference in the real world.

I'm going to check out your project ideas now.

Thanks for sharing.

- David

In reply to David Dunn

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by David Dunn -

Don,

Great that you could incorporate your extensive professional experience into your research. Given the subject is close to my own interests, I would be interested in seeing it. You can email me at david[at]lingualucida.com.

- David

In reply to David Dunn

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi David,

My wife's finishing off her MA TESOL (online) at Anaheim University. She's been very happy with it. Rod Ellis is introducing a new doctoral programme there: http://anaheim.edu/about-anaheim-university/news/1326-au-professor-rod-ellis-appointed-doctoral-program-director although it's more than likely focused on second language acquisition than elearning.

Here's one of Rod Ellis' previous Ph.D. students who's from the Netherlands (I think he's based in the UK at the moment) and has focused on elearning: http://innovationinteaching.org/

Is this the kind of thing you're thinking of?

In reply to Matt Bury

by David Dunn -

Hi Matt,

Just navigated out of Reinders' site ... a little overwhelmed ...

I think you're right about the Ellis program. Although he is a giant in the field, it's not where I'm really interested in working. I did TEFL research for a number of years but would prefer to study tech enhanced learning with a broader scope.

At present, for lack of finding other places, I'm still applying with Lancaster (seem very efficient so far), OU UK and OU NL.

- David

In reply to David Dunn

Απάντηση: Re: Recommended institutions for PhD in eLearning

by Marigianna Skouradaki -

Hello, 

I was glad finding this thread as I am also thinking of doing a Ph.D. in tell. I mostly consider labs that are under computer science departments. I think of the EPFL univ (Lausanne) as well as the university of Stockholm. Do you have any idea of their research activity? Any other labs to suggest? I wouldnt like to go to UK. I would rather prefer Netherlands or Zurich. Any suggestions..?

One more thing I would like to ask your opinion about is if you think it is worth it for a programmer to do a Ph.D. in TEL. Will there actually be increase of e-learning in the future or it doesnt worth the "pain"? Is there anyone who allready has a Ph.D in TEL and would like to share the experience?

I would be grateful to any comments..

cheers