...path to data directory error on installation

...path to data directory error on installation

by Jay Domnitch -
Number of replies: 2

Hello All,

I installed all the Moodle files (1.4.4) on a Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP server. I am not sure of the versions.

I opened my browser to the install.php page and it asks me which language.

The next screen says something about limited space; but it allows me to continue.

Then I am asked to type in the web address, moodle directory, and data directory. When I click to continue, the defaults are not accepted. I tried a few other things for these...nothing worked.

I am not sure if this is a setting thing or a permissions thing...or maybe I just need to type in something else for the moodle directory or data directory.

...oh yeah, I alos tried to create the directory manually...that didn't help either.

...Any ideas???????

The 'Data Directory' you specified could not be found or created. Either correct the path or create that directory manually.

Web address

Moodle Directory

Data Directory

Thanks!!

Jay

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jay Domnitch

Re: ...path to data directory error on installation

by Wayne Ferguson -
I am also getting messages along these lines: "php memory limit" (caution) and "data directory" not created or found.  I created the "moodledata" directory manually and tried variations on the default path (the "pwd" command shows the same path as the default, sans the /usr at the beginning, but it doesn't work with or with that).  Have you found a solution, Jay?
In reply to Jay Domnitch

Re: ...path to data directory error on installation

by Yuda Mubiru -

Hello Jay & Wayne,

Incase you are still having trouble, try this.

I was having a similar problem with my installation process on a system runing Fedora Core 3 with MySql and Php (naturally smile ).

Anyway, within your webviewable installation folder of moodle on your system is a file "config-dist.php". Simply open it up in a text editor and enter the settings you require manually.

Once done, save the file as "config.php" within your root moodle folder.

Now go to your browser and run the index.php file i.e. http://yourserver/index.php

The installation should then continue to the next step of setting up your database etc (at least it did on mine).

Hope this helps.

Yuda