Can't delete teacher quiz preview

Can't delete teacher quiz preview

by Donna Panasiewicz -
Number of replies: 13

An update was done to out system.  That is really all I know.  I am using moodle 2.3 on CRteacher2.  I had started some teacher previews of some of my quizzes prior to the update.  Now I cannot get back into the previews.  I was told to delete them but cannot find where to delete teacher quiz previews.  Can anyone direct me?

I was experiencing a similar problem with students who had started a quiz prior to the update.  After the update they were unable to return to a quiz in progress.  I had to go in and delete them and the students had the start the quiz again from ques. 1.  This is why I believe I need to delete my teacher preview attempts.  Once deleted I think I will be able to get back in but right now I cannot.  Any advice greatly appreciated.

Also when I turn editing on and try to edit my quiz I get an error message.  The message states:  "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.  If it continues to run your computer might become unresponsive. " If I don't stop the script from running IE hangs.  I have tried on different machines including a Windows 7 IE 9 system.  They all seem to have the same issue.

Prior to the update all was fine.  Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Donna Panasiewicz

Re: Can't delete teacher quiz preview

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you edit any of the quiz settings, then all the previews will be deleted.

I don't know what the IE problem is. Can you try another web browser for now?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Donna Panasiewicz -

Thanks,  I will use another browser.  Other browsers do not have the issue. I also found that if I go into the activity logs I can delete my preview attempt. 

Is there a way for me to see what updates were done to the system by the hosting site or can I see the exact version my courses are being based on somewhere in the program?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jonas Asa. -

==> If you edit any of the quiz settings, then all the previews will be deleted.

Hi Tim, is this the way it is supposed to work? Our teachers use 1 attempt quizzes and are reporting since the upgrade do 2.3.1 that they can not delete easily their own attempts, and they have to change the quiz settings in order to retest the quiz.

(Is it possible to suggest an easy code hack to reinstate the old behavior?)

Thanks.

In reply to Jonas Asa.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Actually, why would you  ever need to manually delete a preview? Why can't they just click the 'Preview' link in the settings block?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jonas Asa. -

Yes, you are right. I think the problem is that when a teacher sees the message "No more attempts allowed", specially if it is a new Moodle user, thinks he can not preview the quiz again since in the place where they had the button "Preview" in the middle of the page, now there is only that message and not a button such as "Preview again".

Anyway, just a matter of user education perhaps or interface clarification including a message refering to the Preview in the menu? Thanks!

In reply to Jonas Asa.

by Tim Hunt -

That is a thought. We could have a message, underneath the "No more attempts allowed" bit, shown only to people who are allowed to preview, saying something like "Since you are a Teacher, you can acutally start another preview, but you have to click the preview link in the settings block."

(I think we need better wording than that wink)

You could add a feature request to the Moodle Tracker, if you want me to do this.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Charles Fulton -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Tim,

We actually had a bizarre use case here where a user was enrolled as a non-editing teacher instead of a student (long story, the guilty parties were shouted at) and took a quiz, ignoring the verbiage about how it was a preview. The instructor was confused when the user's attempt never appeared in the quiz report, and changed their role to student (properly, and the user now appears in the gradebook).

Problem: the quiz attempt is still in the database and inaccessible from the interface. If you're the teacher in this case you have no idea what the heck is going on. The student will be told that their attempt is final and submitted, but not graded. The teacher has no way to grade the actual attempt short of overriding it in the grade report.

In test cases I fixed this by flipping the preview flag in the database for that attempt and then re-grading, but I don't like that as a solution.

I think it would be a good improvement to let a teacher see all associated attempts with a quiz, or at least previews (somehow in a way that isn't confusing).

Charles

In reply to Charles Fulton

by Tim Hunt -

I think it would be a bad idea to make previews any more visible than they are now.

Previews may be deleted at any time. They are not real data. Anything that encourages people to think of them as real is a step in the wrong direction.

There is a genuine problem here. The interface is confusing enough that occasionally people get it wrong. I would be very interested to discuss how we can improve the UI to solve that confusion at source. That is the right imporvement to make here.

So, unless you come up with some very convincing arugments soon, I will won't-fix that bug you created.

If you really want this functionality in your Moodle, then you could come up with a 'Save quiz previews' plugin. I guess that would probably be either a quiz report or a block. However, I think that would always remain a thrid-party plugin.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Charles Fulton -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks for taking a look at this. The circumstances under which we encountered this use case were weird to begin with and unlikely to recur now that we've documented this behavior interally. Still, I thought it best to close the loop here. I won't take it personally if you close it and we certainly don't want it badly enough to develop it ourselves ;).

In reply to Charles Fulton

by Tim Hunt -

OK. Thanks.

For anyone who knows what they are doing, flipping question_attempts.preview from 1 to 0 is a perfectly good way to manually get around this problem.