Authentication

Mapping external database fields for external database authentication

Picture of Vjekoslav Hlede
Mapping external database fields for external database authentication

Hi, 

I have successfully utilised Drupal 6 database for external database authentication. Users can log in with their Drupal log in data. 

However I can not get any other data except username and password. They log in and then they have to enter all their data - including name and email. 

Username, password and email are in the 'users' table. 
First and last name are in the 'civicrm_contact' table. 

civicrm_contact->first_name
civicrm_contact->last_name

Is there a way to get data from the civicrm_contact table to the moodle db?

For example, can I somehow put a path to the first_name column in civicrm_contact table in the Data mapping >> First name form field?

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Vjeko

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Lisa Nicholls
Re: Mapping external database fields for external database authentication

This is normally easy to do by creating a view on the Drupal database side and mapping to that view rather than to the underlying table(s).  Is this a possibility on your side?

It's best not to try to write back (allow changes to the mapped fields in Moodle and expect them to be back-ported to the remote database) in this scenario.

>L<

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Vjekoslav Hlede

Thanks a lot Lisa,

This is very helpful. 

>> creating a view on the Drupal

The challenge I have now is that Drupal Views do not have option for passwords - or I can not find it. 
Do you know where/how I can get that field in the Views admin interface? Also, are there any security implications? I assume that data should be encrypted by MD5 (hashing)?

Thanks,

Vjeko

Picture of Jaswinder Singh
TestersTranslators

Hi Vjeko,

What Lisa wants to say is you need to create a view in your database(drupal db). http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/create-view.html

It cant be done via the views module in the drupal site, it has to be done from a toll like phpmyadmin etc.

Picture of Antonio Junior

Hi Vjekoslav Hlede I am trying to integrate Drupal 7 with Moodle 2.4, in Moodle authentication plugins page I should enter, the details about the database, I am not sure which password field encryption to use, I tried MD5 and SHA1. In both cases I could not login with the credential of Drupal account.

Could share with me the details for this part?

TestersTranslators

Hi Antonio,

In D6 password encryption is MD5 which is changed to SHA512 with a custom salt in D7. However, to add SHA512 to the Moodle external db auth method, do read this post https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-21520 (comment posted by ye chen).

For me this method dont work because I cant get rid of the salt. You can either turn off the password salting in D7 but it will make it insecure.

Picture of Antonio Junior

Hi Jaswinder I followed the link, but the same happen to me I don´t have the same value as the one in Drupal.

One doubt how is this encryption done, by PHP or by the applications?

Thanks for the help

TestersTranslators

It is based on the Portable PHP password hashing framework.

For more details read : http://api.drupal.org/api/drupal/includes!password.inc/7