Using predifined marks on randomized questions

Using predifined marks on randomized questions

by Quintin Seegers -
Number of replies: 2

Fellow Moodlers,

We use randomized quizes for many of our assessments to ensure that students in the same class don't end up with the same questions. This has worked really well. However, we need to be able to set the marks for specific questions, e.g. In a cloze-style question the student is required to provide 5 words/phrases. We want this question to count for 5 marks.

We can't seem to be able to do this. When setting up the random quizzes, we can set the marks for each random question, but we want to set the marks against each specific question. (I hope this makes sense smile)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/help.

Quintin

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Quintin Seegers

Re: Using predifined marks on randomized questions

by Clancy Hood -

I've noticed this problem too. It makes no sense as it is now;

In a quiz with e.g. 10 randomised questions, each random question must have its marks set individually. However, since the questions are random and we don't know which we'll end up with, we must set the same mark for each. This means:

a) as the OP noted, questions can NOT have individual grades - meaning you either lose the ability to take a random sample from the bank or forget about weighting the questions altogether

b) the current ability (time-consuming necessity) to set the mark for each random question is pointless, since they MUST all be the same

Looks like a bug to me

edit: submitted bug at http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-35191

In reply to Quintin Seegers

Re: Using predifined marks on randomized questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Just copying the comment I made when closing Clancy's bug, so more people see it:

I disagree. In the quiz, the maximum mark actually belongs to the 'slot' in the quiz, equivalently the column in the quiz grades report, not to the question.

There are other activities one could imaging, using questions, where it would make sense to randomly mix questions with different maximum marks (e.g. http://tjhunt.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/what-i-want-to-build-next.html), but the quiz is not that.