HEADS UP: End of life for contrib cvs

HEADS UP: End of life for contrib cvs

by Dan Poltawski -
Number of replies: 7
Hi There,

Just as core moodle development moved from CVS to git in late 2010 we have seen a large move from third party developers away from contrib CVS and to distributed version control like git.

With http://moodle.org/plugins we are providing a centralised way for Moodle administrators to download their plugins, install them and (since 2.3) be notified of updates irrespective of version control system used. We of course encourage all contrib developers to submit their plugins here and we continue to try and improve it to make life easier for developers submitting their plugins.

Maintaing the contrib CVS repositories (like everything) has a cost and it does not seem prudent to continue to do this. There is a good ecosystem of code hosting sites such as github, gitorious, bitbucket etc and the community has naturally moved towards using these sites.

So, we will shortly be announcing a timetable for contrib cvs to be shut down.

Before this happens we'd greatly hear any concerns you might have, especially any support resources/documentation or help you need to migrate your code away from contrib.

thanks,
Dan Poltawski
Moodle HQ
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Poltawski

Re: HEADS UP: End of life for contrib cvs

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hi Dan,

You are probably aware of the 1.9 language packs that can only be modified through CVS? Not really contrib, but in the same place I think.

So as long as anyone supports 1.9 in some way, I think updating language packs should stay possible.

Kind regards

Koen

In reply to koen roggemans

by Daniel Neis Araujo -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hello,

its nice to see people moving from good-old CVS to distributed systems like git!  I think this is an important step for Moodle.

About the 1.9 language packs, as one of Brazilian Portuguese Maintainers i would really appreciate if they move to git repositories like the 2.x ones.

Kind regards,

Daniel

In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

by Dan Poltawski -
Hi Guys,

Thanks for pointing this out - we'll need to think about these translations (though, indeed, it is slightly different to contrib). Of course at Moodle HQ we have stopped supporting Moodle 1.9.

Daniel, I can't imagine the cost of learning the git tools would be worthwhile though for most translators?

by Daniel Neis Araujo -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hello,

i agree that learning the git tools is quite difficult but here is my view:

* Currently, only maintainers have access to the CVS trees

* There is no formal way to contribute to 1.9 translations

* The only way to contribute is to get in contact with one of maintainers via email, forum or private moodle messages and let him/her know about the contribution

* The maintainer have to know how to work with CVS to update the strings (among the Brazilian ones, i am the only one who is "crazy enough" to do this. In fact i use cvs2git/git2cvs tricks, but it still is a lot of work to setup things first time and do the commits)

So, contributors to 1.9 doesn't have to learn CVS or Git, just the maintainers (one, at least). Also, with git repos, the contribution is made easier if the translator already knows git; if he/she does not, nothing changes.

=)

HTH,

Daniel

by Andrea Bicciolo -

Dan,

as currently all language pack translations since Moodle 2.0 release are managed using the AMOS portal at http://lang.moodle.org,  probably it is not worth learning git just for 1.9 language pack management.

Maybe it is possible to add 1.9 strings management into AMOS too, 1.9 strings are actually available in AMOS, however they are not editable. Probably David Mudrak, the "father" of AMOS, can give us a more comprehensive insight about this topic.

In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Dan Poltawski -
Yep, I'm aware of that - that is why I was skeptical of the git suggestion.

by Andrea Bicciolo -

Hi Dan,

I understand your considerations, however, given what Keon's correctly pointed out about 1.9 language packs,  maybe CVS repos that could more easily removed are the Moodle branch CVS repos, as for 1.9  the equivalent gir repos are already in place.  it is just a tought, I'm sure you have much better figures to understand how those CVS repo are actually used.