File upload problem in IE9

File upload problem in IE9

by Richard Crawford -
Number of replies: 22

We are using Moodle 1.9.3. Because of heavy and deep customizations, upgrading is not an option (though we're building a new site based on Moodle 2.2.3).

We are experiencing an issue where users using Internet Explorer 9 (about 14% of our users) are unable to upload files of any kind: homework assignments, profile pictures, and so on. My research has led me to think that this might be a bug in IE9 itself, but I wanted to know if anyone else has encountered this issue, and if there's a way to work around it.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Crawford

Re: File upload problem in IE9

by Richard Crawford -

Bump. Has no one else experienced this issue?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I don't have a 1.9.3 to test this out on but I do have a 1.9.10 and that seems to work ok with IE9 but quite often I revert to compatiblity mode (an earlier version of IE) as I find more things work with it. Are you able to suggest that to your users to see if that works?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Richard Crawford -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your reply. smile

That's probably the route we're going to go, as well as recommending a different browser if necessary. Hopefully when we upgrade to Moodle 2 this issue will go away.

Richard

by Allison Thompson -

We just upgraded to 2.3 and are having this problem now with IE 9.  We never had it before.  And compatibility mode makes it worse. 

In reply to Allison Thompson

by Gordon McLeod -

3 separate reports about IE9 and the file picker on the same day - I'm guessing there might be an issue with a recent 2.3 update? https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=177564#p934755

I'm fairly sure IE9 was working with file uploader - but not anymore.

In reply to Gordon McLeod

by Gordon McLeod -

Anybody know how to get a tracker item re-opened?

IE9 issue with the filepicker was marked as fixed for an earlier version but the issue has reappeared.

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-27169

Thanks, Gordon.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If I were you I would open a new tracker issue. (I'm just testing it on my latest local host 2.3 on IE9 but it worked - however - I see you say it is intermittent so I will go and try some more and see if I can replicate it.)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gordon McLeod -

Hi Mary,

I've added a new tracker issue, thanks http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-36262

Re: File upload problem in IE9 - Solved

by Gordon McLeod -

Hi,

Just to update. We've uncovered what the problem was at out institution - it wasn't a Moodle bug!

By default our global settings had been set to compatibility mode for IE <for intranet sites> to address an issue about a year ago on IE8. When looking at compatibility mode settings it appeared to be switched off - but global policy settings treated Moodle as an intranet site so it kicked in when users went to Moodle. Switching off the tickbox for compatibility for intranet sites restored the file picker.

Thanks, Gordon.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Mary Cooch -

It would be good if the people you say were from the other institutions who also had the problem could confirm your solution works for them -then the tracker issue could be closedsmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by al tobing -

thoughtfulHi Mary,

Only today I have this problem after months using v2.3. I did not remember the exact date when I upgraded moodle to Moodle 2.3.2+ (Build: 20120914)

I also use IE9. I did Gordon sugesstion, and It works. But When I turn on compatibility mode again for Intranet, file picker still works. So I have no idea what is the real cause of it. thoughtful

by Cameron Penna -
Just for clarity for anyone else reading this. By default, Internet Explorer has ALL intranet sites flagged to be compatibility mode, your institution wouldn't have 'set' this originally. the setting can be found in Tools --> Compatibility View Settings. the option 'Display intranet sites in Compatibility View' This can also be resolved by adding a meta flag into your theme which pertains just to your moodle site and won't affect any other intranet sites that may 'require' compatibility mode to be set.
In reply to Cameron Penna

by Gordon McLeod -

Hi Cameron,

Would you be able to share the syntax for adding the meta flag to switch off compatibility mode?

I presume it needs to be added to the header for every page of the theme?

Thanks, Gordon.

by Janet Rogers -

I have had 2 previous problems with a non-functioning ADD button/non-appearing file picker window, but have been able to correct the issue.  This week, it has happened again.  Making the changes suggested by others in this thread has not corrected the problem.  The only recent change to my computer has been automatic installation of IE9 and Microsoft updates.

If anyone has any additional suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  BTW, file picker is not functioning when I use either FireFox or IE9, so the problem, at least my problem, seems to be independent of the browser.  So far, I am still able to edit text and open documents already uploaded for my courses.

by Cameron Penna -

Hi Gordon,
Correct for the header. The most critical part is it must be the first line after head. I couldn't get it to work anywhere else.
I placed this in the layout embedded.php and general.php files. I'm using Flexi_II theme.

<head>
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8,IE=9" />

There are SO many different opinions on where to place it and what content to put in there, but I found this one worked the best for us.
The most common alternate in content looks like this.

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />

From what I recall there were a few odd things while using this in IE8 so I found calling them separately behaved better.

by Gordon McLeod -

Hi Cameron,

Thanks for the advice - I'll try adding that to the theme and see if it fixes the problem.

Regards, Gordon.

by Stefan Rudin -

We had the same problem with our Installation based on 2.3.3.

We put in our theme the following meta tag. Now the file picker does work also in ie9.

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9"/>

In reply to Stefan Rudin

by Aaron Hockett -

Hey there,

We just discovered this bug as well and based on various googling and discussions on this, I have placed the "meta" code in the outputrenders.php file; commented out the purpose and added the line for IE=7 - IE=10 and I cannot get IE to see the meta tag information and force it to work.  Any ideas?

In reply to Aaron Hockett

by Cameron Penna -

Hard to tell without seeing your code... but with IE10 (I haven't tested yet) but i'm sure it should look like this...

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8,IE=9,IE=10" />

by Aaron Hockett -

Cameron,

I put that code in there but I'm not seeing it in the <head> tag on the site.  Do I need to put it somewhere specifically within the php file?  

In reply to Aaron Hockett

by Cameron Penna -

did you put it in outputrenderes.php or theme files layout embedded.php and general.php? If it's not visible in the page source even just on the frontpage before you login, you may have put it in the wrong spot or perhaps your proxy server is caching the code prior to the change. OR accidentally commented out the meta tag?

Persoanlly I haven't tried the outputrenders.php file as each time we upgrade moodle I don't want to have to make the change again, whereas my theme remains untouched.

I tested in IE10 last night and it worked.

by Hemanth Kumar -

Had the same issue in file picker,.I had it with moodle 2.3 and in all browsers (chrome & mozilla). Can i Know the ways to overcome this issue

Attachment Screenshot from 2013-06-26 143034.png