Gradebook best practices - university transitioning from BB to Moodle 2.2

Gradebook best practices - university transitioning from BB to Moodle 2.2

by Matt Wagner -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

Our university is in the process of moving to Moodle 2.2 and I am in charge of the migration. I think I have an ok understanding of the gradebook, but it is so different from everything I have used with several of the other LMSs in the past. I am looking for the best way to explain to faculty how to manage the gradebook. I would like to make it as simple a transition as possible and allow faculty to explore the more advanced features as they get more comfortable.

Most of our faculty use the point system, and it would seem sum of grades would be the best option for that, but it doesn't exclude non-graded items. Simple weighted seems like a good option, but that seems to be influenced by the category total (100 by default) so I'm not sure why Moodle doesn't calculate that automatically.

Anyway, if any of you know of good resources, I've been struggling to find them. I'd really like to focus on the basics

• point-based grading
  • weighted by categories (this seems simplest to explain - although do they need to add up to 100%)
  • weighting by item (although this seems to be influenced if you organize them into categories)

Thank you and I appreciate any help.

Matt

In reply to Matt Wagner

Re: Gradebook best practices - university transitioning from BB to Moodle 2.2

by Bob Puffer -

Hi Matt,

You've identified the specific reasons I started working on the Moodle gradebook, i.e., correct calculation of category points for ANY aggregation type.  I would invite you to take a look at the CLAMP LAE Grader report.  With $CFG->accuratepoints set to "show" the LAE Grader calculates points for categories on the fly.  Version for 2.2 and 2.3 does not touch the values in the grade tables.  

You can view a screencast of the LAE Grader here: 

You can download at the CLAMP site or from my github. I get messages from all over the world on this report so I know its being used successfully under many conditions.

Cheers,

Bob Puffer

Luther College

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Matt Wagner -

Thank you Bob. This looks interesting. I'll take a closer look at the info on the site.

Matt

In reply to Matt Wagner

by Katherine Robeson -

Hi Matt - I've sent you a message via the Moodle messaging system.  Let me know if I can help.  Thanks.