IE 7 and Moodle 2.3.1

IE 7 and Moodle 2.3.1

by Bas Brands -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers

Hi all,

On the Moodle 2.3 requirements page the minimum IE version to use is IE8. I would like to have our Moodle 2.3 available for IE7 users to. Is there any information on functionalities that will not work with IE7?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bas Brands

Re: IE 7 and Moodle 2.3.1

by Lindsay Stallman -

Hi Bas,

While I can't give you a direct answer to this as I've only troubleshooted in IE8 and a few other browsers I can honestly tell you the best way to figure this out is by downloading IE7 and troubleshooting it yourself or having someone run a QA test for you.

Good luck,

~Lindsay

In reply to Bas Brands

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

I'm in the same boat as you! My Moodle site is integrated with some old external systems that don't like modern versions of Internet Explorer, so I'm stuck with having to support users on IE 7. As Lindsay said, your only real option is to test Moodle thoroughly on IE 7. One way you could do that is to create an IE 7 VM...

In reply to Bas Brands

by Bas Brands -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers

Hi,

We have been taking quite some time to figure out what works and what does not. Drag and drop for files into the filemanager will not work and in every theme the filemanager does not display properly.

First of all we disabled Ajax in our environment:

First of all we turned off Ajax in :
Site administration > Appearance > AJAX and Javascript

Most of the issues in the theme were caused by IE7's missing support for the display: inline-block statement. There is a fix for this.
Adding the statement:

/* IE7 inline-block hack */
    *display: inline;
    *zoom: 1;

to your CSS

See this example:

.block.list_block .unlist > li > .column {
    display:inline-block;
    /* IE7 inline-block hack */
    *display: inline;
    *zoom: 1;
    }

Our theme uses the base and canvas themes as parent themes and these use a lot of inline-block statements. So we searched for stylesheets including this statement and copied these into our theme. All these were editted using the fix described above. Then we excluded the parent stylesheets using this statement:

$THEME->parents_exclude_sheets = array(
    'base'=>array(
        'filemanager','grade','course','core'
    ),
    'canvas'=>array(
        'tabs'
    )
);

Some additional fixes for IE7 were done to make it look just a little better. They are in a separate CSS file included in our theme but contain a lot of custom styling so I won't post it here.

With these IE7 seemed to work nice with Moodle.

Hope this helps you fix it for yourself!