Moodle for mobile

Picture of Yvette Drager
QR codes linking to Moodle site resource

Hi everyone,

I am preparing an event and need to link a QR code to a resource (pdf) that is housed within my moodle shell.

The course that it will link to is a fully open course that does not require a login or enrolment key.

The QR code that I have created is currently pointed to a pdf. If you scan with an ios device it WILL open the document however, if I scan with an Android or Blackberry it WILL NOT open it comes up with an error.

We have tested pointing the QR code to a website (and the same pdf) which all devices will open so it is not an issue with the devices we are trialling the scan with. 

Any ides on how to solve this issue.

Thanks

Yvette

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rob Johnson
Re: QR codes linking to Moodle site resource
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

What does the error say?  Is it possible to post the code here?

Picture of Yvette Drager

Hey Rob,

No actual error code comes up.

When you scan the code it just hangs on the click here to open link (pdf link) that is in the course site and but does not open the file. The Andoid and Blackberry devices DO have the Adobe Reader installed so that isn't the problem.

With an ios device it opens the pdf as soon as you click on the 'click here to open' link in the Moodle site.

Any ideas?

Yvette

Picture of Rob Johnson

I have not tested this under the conditions you are trying.  I have not tried with a QR code, and my Moodle is not open to guests. My tablet (Android 4.0.4) downloads a PDF file instead of opening in a PDF reader.  It is only after I click the download in my notifications area that it opens.  Is that happening for you?

Picture of Yvette Drager

Hey Rob,

It isn't even getting to the downloads, it just hangs when you click on the link then does nothing.

I have included a test QR code for you to see if you can open it.

We have had our department geeks looking at the problem with no success. Hopefully you will be able to shed some light on the matter.

NB we have even tried putting it on the front page of our site with no success sad

Cheers

Yvette

Picture of Rob Johnson

Hi Yvette,

I don't think the QR code is the problem.  My hunch is some Android devices are having a problem with that resource.  Have you tried with an Android device by browsing to the page without using the QR code?  I imagine the result will be the same.  Also, what devices have you tried?  I tested three, and only had a problem with one.

Here are the results of my tests with your code. I used two tablets and a phone.

• Motorola Xoom - Android 4.0.4 using Barcode Scanner app.  The scan asked what I wanted to open your Moodle site with; Browser, Firefox, or Chrome.  I chose Browser.  When I tapped the link on your Moodle page, the pdf downloaded.  I had to either look in my notifications and tap the download, or open the Download app.  If I tapped on the pdf I was asked what app I wanted to use to open the file.  I chose Adobe PDF, and the file was visible.
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 - (7 inch screen)  Android 4.0.3 using Barcode Scanner app.  The results were the same as with the Xoom.  The file opened just fine.
  • Samsung Nexus S 4G (Sprint U.S. is the carrier). Android 4.0.4 using Barcode Scanner app.  The results here were the same for the Xoom, but each time I tapped the link on your Moodle site, the download would get to 100%, but then say "Download unsuccessful"  I was not able to open your PDF with this phone.

The last question I have for you is if you have tried using "Force Download" in the file resources setting for that file?  I wonder if that would make a difference.

Force Download

I hope you are able to get this issue sorted out soon. smile

Rob

Picture of William Strong

Hi,Yvette Drager. What QR Code barcode generator did you use. The problem may be caused by your barcode generator. You can change another barcode generator to have a try. To do this, you can Google "Java QR Code barcode generator with guide" and many useful and professional sites come out for you to choose. Good luck.

Picture of mariah lewis

er... yeah, which qr code source you used, maybe the one you used is not compatible with the scanner you wanna scan it

Picture of Ger Tielemans

Moodle 2.5.3? Try this one = content of the 1.9 QR code block, placed in a 2.5.3 block-set.

Checked and working with program Scan 1.9.2.2 on my Samsung III mini phone

(works without a settings.php, but maybe can someone else convert the settings from the included config.old)

Picture of mariah lewis

you mean adding the qr code into the phone?