Drag and drop ordering question type for Moodle 2.3

Drag and drop ordering question type for Moodle 2.3

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Number of replies: 16

While I was doing some work on the drag and drop matching question type for Moodle 2.3, I had a look at another question type also made by Adriane Boyd : the drag and drop ordering question type (qtype_order).

I made some modifications to the version made by Andreev available here

- french language file big grin

- XML import/export

- Moodle 2.3 compatibility

So here it is. For this one too, it would be good if Andreev can create a MOODLE23 branch, add my changes and if it could be added to the Moodle plugins Directory.

If we add that Jamie Pratt has done a converter from Adriane's image question type to the drag and drop markers question type, nearly all questions made with Adriane's plugins can be upgraded and used with Moodle 2.3, the only exception being fileresponse for wich I published a small hack in this forum to be able to restore a backup with all fileresponse questions converted to essay questions. Maybe we can do a converter like Jamie's one for the fileresponse -> essay conersion ?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

Re: Drag and drop ordering question type for Moodle 2.3

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jean-Michel,

It would be nice to have this on a github somewhere...

Joseph

by Artem Andreev -

Jean-Michel, thank you.

I've merged your changes.

If anyone wants to maintain Ordering question I can add him as collaborator.

In reply to Artem Andreev

by Ali Hastie -

Hi

We have just upgraded to from Moodle 2.3.3+ to Moodle 2.4+ and have the ordering question type (version: 2012070400) installed and receive this error:

Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: PAGE->yui2_lib() is not available any more, use YUI 2in3 instead, see MDL-34741 for more information.

This was exact same error we had with the ddmatch type but fixed it using this link:

https://github.com/andrewnicols/moodle-qtype_ddmatch/tree/ddmatch-yui3

Cheers

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Daniel Pospisil -

Is anyone planning on making this work again under Moodle 2.4? Thanks smile

In reply to Daniel Pospisil

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

To my best knowledge nobody is working on upgrading the order question to Moodle 2.4.

I can't do it as the javascript needs upgrading and my javascript knowledge in not good enough to do this myself.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Urs Giezendanner -

Hi Ali

Does yours ddmatch questions work?

I tried with the yui3-Version in your Link. I get no more errors but it does not work either...

Is it the moment to leave this question type? I have more than 100 Questions with it... angry

Regards 

Urs

In reply to Urs Giezendanner

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Urs,

How can developers know you have a problem if you don't report it ?

After Andrew Nicols has upgraded it to YIU3 I have made additional changes and you can download the latest version here:

https://github.com/jmvedrine/moodle-qtype_ddmatch

Of course I have tested it before uploading it and I found no problem.

Can you please try to install this version and see if it works for you or not.

But say precisely what problem you find because I can't try to fix it if you only say "it doesn't work".

Thanks a lot.

by Ali Hastie -

Hi

The ddmatch works with IE 8&9 but not Firefox 18.0 version.

There seems to be problems with our version of the ddmatch downloaded from the link I stated above using the secure browser.

Also, don't mean to complain here as I personally appreciate the hard work involved, but I am getting a little confused now as to which version from which developer of the ddmatch question type we should be using within our version of Moodle. The ddmatch has caused a few problems over the past Moodle releases for us.

Our staff love this question type but we feel we need to consider OU's drag and drop types as there is one version from one location and they work accordingly with the newest releases of Moodle, along with cross Browser support.

Cheers,

Ali

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

hello Ali,

Thanks a lot for your message,

Since Adriane Boyd stopped to work on ddmatch I have been doing my best to keep ddmatch question type working with each new release of Moodle.

Part of this is easy: a lot of code of ddmatch is the same as in match so when match code is changed I make the same changes in ddmatch, and as I am following rather closely change in match code you can nearly always be sure that the version you can download from my github acccount is the best one you can download for the lastest released Moodle version.

But if you are using an older Moodle version there may be problems as I currently don't have several branchs of ddmatch available. I will look to also offer 2.2 and 2.3 branchs as soon as I find the time to do these.

For Moodle 2.4 I faced quite a different problem because the javascript (whitch was unchanged since Adriane Boyd did it) stopped working. I called for help as my javascript knowledge is rather limited, and fortunately Andrew Nicols answered. I was very happy because of Andrew's knowledge of javascript and Moodle.

Having a core developer like Andrew wanting to work on ddmatch to fix it for Moodle 2.4 was the best I could hope for. Andrew redid all the javascript part and all my testing were positive so I released a version including all Andrew's work.

I have tested this latest version of ddmatch with firefox 18 (and I will test it with firefox 19 as it is now available). In fact firefox is my browser of choice, so it has been tested a lot more on firefox than on any other browser including all IE version  smile.

I have not seen any problem and first testers (Joseph Rézeau, Marcus Green, ...) have not reported anyhthing other than some style's colors , so can you please tell me what problems you have found with firefox.

I have not tested it with secure browser as I have never used it so I can't say anything about this.

by Ravi Vare -

Hi Jean,

I am using Moodle 2.2.7+ (Build: 20130118)

I want to use 'DD Ordering' Q. Type for it.

Plz. suggest modifications

Right now, i have no plan for upgrading my moodle.

TIA,

Ravi Vare

Odp: Drag and drop ordering question type for Moodle 2.3

by Tomasz Pawlik -

For those they wish to use Ordering in Moodle 2.4.
I've made basic modifcations to Jean-Michel Védrine version according to guidelines in MDL-34741 and it works.

order.js:

1. YUI().use('yui2-yahoo', 'yui2-event', 'yui2-dom', 'yui2-dragdrop', 'yui2-animation', function(Y) {
2. var YAHOO = Y.YUI2;
// old code
3. });

First two lines go to begining of file and third at the end.

renderer.php - replace line 81 with:

$js = "YUI().use('yui2-yahoo', 'yui2-event', 'yui2-dom', 'yui2-dragdrop', 'yui2-animation', function(Y) {  var YAHOO = Y.YUI2; YAHOO.util.Event.onDOMReady(function(){M.order.Init($initparams);}); });";

renderer.php - line 44 to 48:

comment out each line like this: //$PAGE->requires->yui2_lib('yahoo');
Putting two slashes in front of every line.

In reply to Tomasz Pawlik

Re: Odp: Drag and drop ordering question type for Moodle 2.3

by Jakob Ackermann -

this did not work for me. The M.oder.Init function was never running so I changed the line 81 to:

$js = " YUI().use('event-base', function (Y) { Y.on('domready', function () { M.order.Init($initparams); }); });";

and this worked for me.

In reply to Jakob Ackermann

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

I have not tested modifications to the order question type code posted in this forum by Tomasz and Jakob, but I wanted to report that Andreev Artem, the maintainer of this question has a 2.4 branch in his github repo since a few days available here:

https://github.com/andreev-artem/moodle_question_type_order/tree/MDL_24

Code has been contributed by François Moreau (lampyridae) and seems to work well.

I suggest that users unfamiliar with modifying code try to download this version.

by Jakob Ackermann -

I know this is an old thread....

The only reason for this post is that I wrote an upgrade for qtype_order to the qtype_ordering plugin which actively maintained.

If someone comes across this post, it maybe useful.

Use at your own risk and make sure you have a backup smile

https://github.com/jacac/qtype_order

In reply to Jakob Ackermann

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jakob,

Thank you for providing the upgrade. I didn't know about it, so I recently asked Gordon Bateson to make an upgrade tool, too, to convert old 'order' questions into new 'ordering' questions.  As you know, he is actively maintaining the ordering plugin in the Plugins Database here: https://moodle.org/plugins/qtype_ordering

I am not sure where Gordon's upgrade from 'order' to 'ordering' is, but if anyone wants it, you may contact him or go to his github location: https://github.com/gbateson/moodle-qtype_ordering