It's a delicate question, the issue of when to move to a new version. If we all sat back and waited for others to make the move we'd have no genuine crash testing. I know my memory can play tricks. But it seems to me the 2.3.1 list of bugs in the various states of Blocker through to Trivial is shorter by miles at this stage (ie just after a point nought release) than ever before when I have been paying attention to an upgrade.
The forums are quieter. Not that many themes of people with quite desperate needs. Performance issues may not quite have emerged yet, but on the other hand there was one finding of a HUGE increase in performance.
Probably has to do with the detailed attention paid to testing maybe?
Not good metrics I guess, or at best very subjective. But it does make me feel a move to Moodle 2.3 may be soon on the cards for at least some of the environments I work in. It's Mid year break here in the part of the workd I come from.
I've made some decisions where I have some influence, [which is not much]: tolerate a few reductions in functionality, avoid hacks (Just too expensive to manage with a provider), and start to look at getting some $$ together for a couple of plugins. I've considered the CLAMP-IT model, but just don't have access to the critical mass. I've looked at Kickstarter as an option, and wondered at it's usefulness for manage the funding.
I want to try to avoid the highly tweaked and hacked installations that are fun to build and play with but too much like hard work to upgrade. I'd like upgrading to become a nice clean process.