Save work in progress?

Save work in progress?

by Bob Irving -
Number of replies: 14
Hi all,

I just set up a Moodle for my 7th grade writing workshop class, and so far I'm loving it (so are my students).

A question has come up already. Is it possible to save a work in progress? I don't see any way to do that in the assignment module, but perhaps I've missed it or it's in another module.

TIA,
Bob Irving
Middle School Technology Coordinator
Lancaster Country Day School
Lancaster, PA
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Irving

Re: Save work in progress?

by Art Lader -
Hi, Bob,

I believe that you can enable your students to simply resubmit their updated work. This will automatically delete the file that is already on the server.

Maybe someone else has a better, more elegant answer. smile

Best regards,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Bob Irving -
Art,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure that what you suggest will solve the issue here. What the student was looking for was a place to save their work in progress in Moodle (a la Word) and then call it back up again later, revise it, and resubmit it.

As I understand what you are suggesting, they would be able to overwrite an assignment with a new assignment, yes? But they would not be able to call up their previous assignment and make changes to it. Which is what they are asking for.

Perhaps it's just not a possibility, or is there another module that might do this?

TIA,
Bob in PA
In reply to Bob Irving

by Bill Click -
I guess I don't quite understand why this must be done within a module of Moodle.  Our students each have a login to our computer system in which they have their own folder.  If they have a work-in-progress, they just sav it into that folder until they decide to upload it to the teacher.  Works for us.  Sometimes we need to think about solutions outside of Moodle.  The more that you throw into Moodle the more difficult it becomes.  Maybe I'm out of my league here, but IMHO, this is what I think.
In reply to Bob Irving

by Bill Click -
I guess I don't quite understand why this must be done within a module of Moodle.  Our students each have a login to our computer system in which they have their own folder.  If they have a work-in-progress, they just sav it into that folder until they decide to upload it to the teacher.  Works for us.  Sometimes we need to think about solutions outside of Moodle.  The more that you throw into Moodle the more difficult it becomes.  Maybe I'm out of my league here, but IMHO, this is what I think.
In reply to Bill Click

by Bob Irving -
Bill,

What you say is true and that is the road I'll probably go down. The advantage to saving it in Moodle, however, is that they could continue to work on something either at home or at school. They can't log on to the school server from home and pull up files. My workaround for last week was to tell them to email their In Progress file to their home address, work on it there, and then email it back to their school address. It's clunky but workable.

Thanks, and good to see another MS tech coordinator here!
Bob in PA
In reply to Bob Irving

by Michael Penney -
Students can re-download their assignment after submitting, login as a student and check it out.

They can click the assingment's file name, re-open it, edit it, re-save it locally, and then re-upload the changed file (assuning allow re-submission is on of course).

This may be a bit confusing as the browser will often save the file to a temp directory when opening it from the assignment, the students need to re-save it to someplace they can easily find it for re-uploading, but this is a function of how browsers handle non-html files, not Moodle/assignment.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Ger Tielemans -
.. OR you could add the block "My Files" where students can store privat files and bookmarks and have these also available at home.
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Darren Smith -
I seem to remember MyFiles also allows the student to send the work to an assignment.

Or you could just have an ungraded assignment set up which you ignore and the students upload and download work through it.
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Bob Irving -
I must be missing something, but I can't find MyFiles in any of the blocks.  It's not listed in the main config screen.

However, I have set up a wiki for the next assignment and that is working great.

Thanks so much for all the responses.  It's wonderful to have such a great support group!

Bob in PA
In reply to Bob Irving

by Darren Smith -

MyFiles is a superb and very valuable add-on.

You have to download it separately from CVS and then install it (which is pretty straightforward)

In reply to Bill Click

by George alex -

In the subject Save work in progress, What i felt also is the same thing. Children can have their own password and own folder, in it they can keep the assignment file. after this they can upload it to their concern teacher. So my opinion is that The more that you throw into Moodle the more difficult it becomes.

--------------------------------------------------------

George alex

<a href="Pennsylvania">http://www.treatmentcenters.org/pennsylvania">Pennsylvania Treatment Centers</a>

In reply to Bob Irving

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Bob,
What I have done in my courses is to provide TWO modules for students, as I see Martin advice. I set the assigmnent using the proper "Assignment" module. There the students may submit the file and get graded and works commented.

But, at the same time, I provide a workplace in the form of a Wiki. There the students can write text on-line (with saving work-in-progres s, and versioning system) , and can store files for exchange (with peers, between home and school etc.). The Wiki is named after the Assignment, and placed just below. Wiki alone will not do, because Wikis are not graded. You can even add a forum. The whole bunch pays off if you have teams of student working on several subjects. You can use Assignment, Wiki and Forum in group mode.

- Enrique -

In reply to Bob Irving

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
How about the Wiki module?   You can set it up so students have their own pages.