Maintaining 2 language packs

Maintaining 2 language packs

by Tim Allen -
Number of replies: 7
Hi moodlers,

Now that there are 2 Korean language packs - ko in EUC-KR encoding and ko_utf8 in UTF8 encoding - I am wondering whether it is better to add new translations to ko and then convert to UTF8 or vice versa.  What do other languages in a similar situation do?  Or perhaps it is trivial and doesn't matter?...thoughtful

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Tim.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: Maintaining 2 language packs

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Contact mits@mitstek.com from theJapanese translation for this. He has a lot of experience in maintaining both a UTF-8 and traditional encoded language pack
In reply to Tim Allen

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
OK, here is a modified lang.php for UTF8 encoding. mbstring is required.

1. Replace /moodle/admin/lang.php with this modified lang.php.
2. Change "ja_JP.utf8" on line372 to your language locale.

I don't have a help file converter, so I'm converting help files manually.wink

Don't forget to backup your current language files and original /moodle/admin/lang.php in case this script does not work correctly.

In reply to Mitsuhiro Yoshida

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Since UTF-8 is becoming more and more important, your script could be interesting for some other languages who want to make a transfer to UTF-8.

Could this become a part of the main stream, developpers ?bedenking

by Tim Allen -
Hi Mitsuhiro,

Thanks a lot. smile Actually, you have sent me this script by private email previously. Unfortunately, I have never been able to get it to work. I have all the settings correct (I have multibyte support etc.) mixed

I add the hacked lang.php to mymoodlefolder/admin/ and then I go to the language interface and save a file, but I never get any ko_utf8 files or folders. sad  I have tried creating the ko_utf8 folder first but that doesn't change anything...

If you are sure that this does work, I wonder if you would be prepared to have a look at my server if I were to give you admin privileges and see if you could find out the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Please make sure that Moodle 1.5dev is working on your server.

This script is working on my Moodle 1.5dev.
"Japanese" and "Japanese UTF8" on http://moodle.org/download/lang/ are always same date. wink

I checked Moodle 1.5 with ko. And ko_utf8 files were created correctly.

OK ....

Please e-mail me your server's account info.
I would check your scripts and settings.

And if possible, please creat an admin account of your Moodle site for me.

by Tim Allen -
Yes my Moodle 1.5 is working OK.

Thanks a lot for offering to help, I have emailed you some info.

Tim. smile