Remain on same page until correct answer given, even for no credit

Remain on same page until correct answer given, even for no credit

oleh Michael Brady -
Jumlah balasan: 9

Here's what I want to happen during the question sequences of a lesson. When a student gets a wrong answer, I want them to get no credit, but I do want them to see my feedback for that answer choice and then be directed back to the same page. There they will have to try again until they get the correct answer choice, even though they get no credit for it after the first attempt. Now, I have set up all my wrong answer jumps to This Page, but they don't jump back to This Page, they go to the next page. And if set Provide option to try again to Yes, I get that default feedback about trying again for the sheer joy of learning. I want them to see my individual choice feedback because it's instructive feedback based on the answer choice. AND if I set the maximum number of attempts to anything other than 1, they get credit for the correct answer even if it wasn't their first choice. Thanks.

Rata-rata penilaian: -
Sebagai balasan Michael Brady

Re: Remain on same page until correct answer given, even for no credit

oleh Joseph Rézeau -
Gambar dari Core developers Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Plugin developers Gambar dari Testers Gambar dari Translators

Which version of Moodle ? 1.9.x or 2.x?

Joseph

Sebagai balasan Joseph Rézeau

oleh Michael Brady -

Joseph,

Sorry. I'm using 2.2. Thanks for replying.

Mike

oleh Joseph Rézeau -
Gambar dari Core developers Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Plugin developers Gambar dari Testers Gambar dari Translators

@Michael,

In your Lesson settings, did you set your Flow control -> Maximum number of attempts to 10?

Joseph

oleh Michael Brady -

Joseph,

Thank you for working with me on this.

If I do that, I found that the student gets credit for the correct answer when he/she finaly gets it. On the one hand, I don't want them to get any credit for guessing, on the other, I want them to see the feedback I have for wrong answers and be required to finally get the answer correct before they move one. That's why I have every wrong answer jump set to "this page".  That's also why I set the "Provide option to try a question again" to "no" because then the student merely sees the Moodle feedback about trying again for the "sheer love of learning", not my wrong answer feedback.

I hope I'm being clear.

Mike

oleh AL Rachels -
Gambar dari Core developers Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Plugin developers Gambar dari Testers

Hi Michael,

Here is how I have handled this in the past. Make two copies of the each question page. Make the first copy one a student sees so that it gives a score for the correct answer then that answer only goes on to the NEXT question. All wrong answers go to the second copy of the first question which has all the scoring set to zero but the correct answer will go to the NEXT question.

Takes a little extra work but gives the desired results of no score after the first attempt at an answer.

HTH and is understandable.

AL

Sebagai balasan AL Rachels

oleh Piero Fornoni -

hi , Al

smart solution.

I am going to try soon .This is a big improvement in teaching .

Thanks

Piero

oleh Joseph Rézeau -

Michael,

Now I quite understand what you want to achieve but, unfortunately it is not possible with the Lesson settings.

Here are the settings which should work:

1. Provide option to try a question again: yes.
  2. Maximum number of attempts: 1
  3. When student gives a correct answer: display feedback for correct answer
  4. When student gives incorrect answer: display feedback for incorrect answer and message "Unfortunately you cannot earn this one point, because your response was not correct. Would you like to keep guessing, just for the sheer joy of learning (but for no point credit)?" with relevant 2 buttons (go back / go forward).

Settings 1 and 2 work with #3 (correct answer + feedback) but not with #4 (incorrect feedback is not displayed).

I have reported this as MDL-34102 for which you can vote.

Joseph

oleh Michael Brady -

Joseph,

Thank you. As a new user to Moodle who has only been working on it for a few weeks, I feel as if I have finally "arrived."  Quick question. When/if the issue is resolved, will I be informed directly, or is this somethng I'll have to discover on my own?

Mike

oleh Joseph Rézeau -

Michel,

Since you have registered in the Moodle Tracker and voted for this issue, you will be notified by email each time the bug report is modified in the tracker.

Joseph