General developer forum

Picture of Alex 09
MOODLEID - EU Cookie Law

Hi all

I appreciate that this topic has been brought up a few times recently, but I was unable to determine whether or not the MOODLEID cookie conforms to the EU Cookie Law? I am running Moodle 1.9.18 (I think).

If not I would rather not have to ask for any kind of consent for fear of putting users off, so would rather just remove/disable the cookie from the site all together. Is this possible to do?

Many thanks
Alex

Average of ratings: -
Dan at desk in Moodle HQ, Perth
Re: MOODLEID - EU Cookie Law
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Hi Alex,

Whilst I was working at LUNS we looked at this:
http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/attachment/24290/UK+Laws+Relating+to+Cookies-LUNS2011.pdf

The short answer is that MOODLEID should not require consent. "If a cookie is strictly necessary (e. g. an authenticated session cookie) to provide a service
then no further action need be taken"

But MOODLEID does require consent, its an optional setting, disable $CFG->rememberusername if you don't want it.

Picture of Alex 09

Hi Dan

Thanks for your response. How do I go about disabling 'rememberusername'?

Many thanks
Alex

Dan at desk in Moodle HQ, Perth
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Admin > Security > Site Policies

Picture of Alex 09

Hi Dan

Thanks again for your quick response. I couldn't find anything relating to 'rememberusername' via Admin > Security > Site Policies.

Is this a new setting which came in with a recent Moodle update?

Many thanks
Alex

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Ales- it isn't in 1.9 - it came in (I *think*) with 2.2 but I will go and take a look to double check now.

Picture of Alex 09

Thanks Mary.

Do you know if there is another way to disable the MOODLEID cookie?

Picture of Alex 09

Sorry to reply to my own thread, but does anyone know of any way to disable the MOODLEID cookie in 1.9?

Would I maybe be better off posting this question in a different forum?

Many thanks
Alex