automatic linking required twice: why?

automatic linking required twice: why?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello.

1- When creating or updating a glossary, one has the option to tick the box:
Automatically link glossary entries:
2- Then, when adding a new entry to that glossary, one again has the option;
This entry should be automatically linked

1. Since the main way for students to access a glossary will be through the automatically linked words in resources & activities, I don't quite see the point of not automatically linking glossary entries. However there may exist cases where the glossary will be used "on its own", as it were, in which case that option will prove useful.

2. On the other hand, once a glossary has been created with the "Automatically link glossary entries" option set to Yes, I fail to see the logic behind having to click again - for each and every new entry- the This entry should be automatically linked option!
The way things stand look so illogical to me that I often forget to tick that box and am puzzled when words are not autolinked in the resources...

3- Again I do accept that there might be, within an "automatically linked" type of glossary, a few instances of entries which should NOT be autolinked (why? I wonder), but it would be more logical if - in that type of glossary - entries were by default linked (still retaining the possibility to have some not linked).

To sum up my wish:
When a glossary is created with the Automatically link glossary entries is set to Yes, then for all new entries, the This entry should be automatically linked box should be checked by default.

I will post a bug report to that effect, but am waiting first for fellow moodlers' opinion on the topic.

Joseph_R

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: automatic linking required twice: why?

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Joseph,

if I'm no wrong, when you enable "Automatically link glossary entries" at glossary level, you are ALLOWING users to select/deselect the "automatically linked" checkbox for each entry. And such option (and the rest of them related to linking) aren't showed if you disable such option at glossary level.

About default values for options used by new glossary entries, you can configure them in Admin/Configuration/Modules/Glossary. With this, you will be able to have every new entry with options pre-filled as you want.

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Re: automatic linking required twice: why?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Muchas gracias, Eloy,

I had not realized that new entries could be default-forced to "linked" by Admin. I will try to persuade my Admin to configure the Glossary module that way wink.

Ciao,

Joseph_R