Easy Java Simulations and Moodle

Easy Java Simulations and Moodle

by Luis de la Torre -
Number of replies: 13

Ok, I have written this same thing in some other old post about virtual labs but I think its time to create a new one in this section, which seems more appropriate.

This way, it will have more visibily and it may catch the attention of someone who might be interested.

We have developed three Moodle plugins for adding Easy Java Simulations (EJS) applets into Moodle as activities and enhancing their use within this LMS.  You can find them here: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-3733

Also, here is a small introduction.

You will find three different plugins:

• vrlab -> This one is a module, so you should place it in your mod folder. It allows you to add EJS applets as new activities into your moodle courses.
  • vrlab_file_browser -> This is a small modification of the "My private files" block from version 2.1. It is able to receive files from the EJS applets added to your courses using the vrlab activity. It also recognizes EJS state files (which are in .xml format) so when you click in one of those files in your vrlab_file_browser block, Moodle will redirect you to the appropiate vrlab activity instance, load the EJS applet, read the xml file and load the simulation state previously saved.
  • vrlab_collab_session -> This is a new block which can be used along with the vrlab activity to create collaborative sessions for the collaborative features of EJS. Thanks to it, users can synchronously collaborate as they can work at the same time with the same EJS applet.

Requirements: EJS (build 120613 or later) and Moodle (it was tested on versions 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2, although during the last months we only used it with version 2.2).

In the next few days I will create some videos explaining how to use the three plugins so you can benefit from all the features described above.

Meanwhile, please feel free to try out our plugins. If you use EJS Im sure you will really love them. And if you do not know what EJS is (http://fem.um.es/Ejs/), and you need to add experimentation capabilities in your Moodle course, you should really check it out.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Luis de la Torre

Re: Easy Java Simulations and Moodle

by wee lookang -

it is awesome news!

thanks!

i have some EJS applets, can i test how they work in moodle?

looks like i need to buy server spaces and services to test out the new plugin?

and i will probably need to recompile with moodle support enabled too.

anyway, my blog with a sample of the EJS applet i have remixed

author: Todd TimberLake, remixed by lookang

[html][/html]

http://weelookang.blogspot.sg/2012/06/ejs-open-source-eratosthenes-measures.html

In reply to wee lookang

by Luis de la Torre -

Hello, Wee

It's really nice to find people interested in these features for Moodle so soon smile

From your words I understand you already have access to a Moodle portal which host is provided by some company, is that right?

To be honest, we have only worked with our own servers, here at our university, so we did not have any issue regarding space or services, of course.

And yeah, you need to recompile your EJS simulations with the latest EJS version with the Moodle support option enabled. I'm preparing a tutorial explaining everything in the EJS wiki http://www.um.es/fem/EjsWiki/Main/UsingEJSWithMoodle

Anyway, if you want to check how it all looks and works once you have installed everything, you can cheack out our web experimentation portal: http://unedlabs.dia.uned.es

I have created a free user account so anybody can access the courses and try our virtual labs, developed with EJS.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Sze Yee Lye -

Hi, Luis.

Thank for the plug in. I am currently trying out in my website.

I have installed the plug in and the blocks successfully.

When I try to add the VR Activity with the ejs simulation provided, I have the following message: "Can't open file with the specified name". The jar file is uploaded and this error message occurs when I press "Save and return to course". I am running Moodle 2.23.  I have also attached the error message for your reference.

Thank for your help!

Sze Yee

Attachment Error.jpg
In reply to Sze Yee Lye

by Sze Yee Lye -

Hi, I think I have found the problem.

I have set the permission rights of the vrlab to 777. Is that the correct way to do it?

by Sze Yee Lye -

Hi, Luis. Sorry to trouble you again.

I am now trying out the collaborative session. I can invite user A and user A can see the invitation. User A has joined the session but on the session director side, I cannot see the user A joining it. In the "Session Director Window", I can only see my name.

Wonder what I have done wrong.

Thank for your help!

Sze Yee

In reply to Sze Yee Lye

by Luis de la Torre -

No trouble at all. I'm pleased to help.

To be honest, I must say the collaborative features of EJS do not work perfectly well. It should work when you try it with two different web browsers from the same computer or with to different computers which are both in the same LAN.

However, I think in september/october a new version of EJS solving these issues will appear. And the Moodle plugin is working properly and won't need any change. So you can just keep it installed and try again later, after compiling your EJS simulations with the latest version, in sptember or october.

Also, when using Mac OS, you need to sign your applets for this connection to be established. You won't need it if you are using windows in both computers. Not sure about linux or unix...

by Sze Yee Lye -

Thank , Luis.

I really appreciate your help.

I have also tried on the same computer with different browsers and two different computers on the same wireless network. I also face the same problem.

Am I right to say that when you say "computers are on the same LAN", are you meaning that the server running moodle and the computer accesssing website running on the same LAN ?

Currently, I am setting up a webserver in a remote hosting site and I am accessing the moodle at home (so on different network).

Thank you for you help again!

In reply to Sze Yee Lye

by Luis de la Torre -

No, I was meaning the computer from user A (say, the session director) and computer B (say, the invited user) must be on the same network.

Same thing about using the same computer with two different web browsers: one for user A and one for user B. This should "always" work.

It doesn't matter where the Moodle server is located at. The collaborative feature works establishing a peer to peer connection between users (following the previous example: A and B).

However, as I said, this communication is not working very well in EJS at the moment. It could get a bit frustrating. My reccomendation would be to wait till september or october and then use the new EJS version that will (hopefully) solve these problems.

Anyway, I'm trying to make these explanatory videos today (if I have time to do it). I will report them when they are done. That way you will be able to check if you did something wrong or not.

by wee lookang -

http://unedlabs.dia.uned.es/

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: "Connection refused"
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

with try again later smile

In reply to wee lookang

by Luis de la Torre -

Looks like we had a power cut and the server switched off.

It is already working again smile