Assignment

Picture of Mat Cannings
Multiple Attempts

This has been asked in various ways before but I was wondering if this would be more achievable with the changes to Assignments in 2.3

We have an occasional requirement where a student submits an Assignment, the lecturer grades and gives feedback then returns to the student who may make amendments and then resubmit.

At the moment, the way the assignment works the student would delete the first attempt and replace with a new version. Then when the lecturer regraded the first set of feedback would be overwritten too.

For me an option rather like the quizzes allow multiple attempts would be ideal here which would mean that after allowing a resubmission it would be a different attempt and the old one (with corresponding feedback/score) is locked away somewhere. This would provide a record of number of resubmissions and evidence of feedback and versions for audit purposes.

Is this more feasible to achieve via a plug-in or extension following the changes for 2.3?

Average of ratings: -
Me!
Re: Multiple Attempts
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Mat,

Sorry - but this is not acheivable via a plugin in the new assignment module. To support this we would have to add the changes to the core module which then would make it work for all of the different assignment types.

Regards, Damyon

Picture of Enrique Castro
Group Developers

Hi Mat and Damyon,

I think that this IS perfectly achievably with the existing plugin support for assign 2.3

Actually, I am working currently in a plugin to allow resubmission by the student after the previous submission has been graded by the teacher. The system works by moving previous submitted files to new filearea and changing current submission status.

I'm calling the plugin "Historic" because the system will store a record of past submissions in the same assignment that students and teachers can review, in addition to current submission . Obviously, the "valid" submission is the current one, managed by standard "files" o "onlinetext".

I will present the details in a few days.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Me!
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Sounds cool Enrique, that sounds like it can work!

Picture of Enrique Castro
Group Developers

Hi,

This is a pre-release version of the Assign 2.3 plugins we are developing at ULPGC.

Here the "History" plugin. This plugin will allow the student to store current submission in an historic record and return submission status to draft, so being able to submit again.

The plugin settings control when the student will see the "resubmission" button. Currently "grading" and "submit & grading" are behaving more or less in the same way. The understanding is that a student can re-submit ONLY after having submitted and have been graded by the teacher. Only after grading  the student can involve in a new submission.

The submission is controlled by dates/submission status as normal (no re-submission if the due date is  past). No resubmission if the submission status is "submitted"

In order to be able to send new files/text, the student has to use the "Save to History" button that appears in his submission review page. This "Save to History" button saves files & text for current submission, empty the current submission of files and/or online text and return current submission status to draft..

This plugin only knows about files submitted by the "file" plugin and text submitted by "onlinetext" plugin. Teacher feedback loaded either as feedback "comments" or feedback "file" are also stored.

There is a table where student or teacher can review previous attempts at this Assignment by an student, saved as the History for the assignment. The history record contains the files & text submitted, submission timestamp, feedback files & text,  grade and grader and marking timestamp.

Please, feel free to experiment with the plugin and to request any changes or further refinements. At this stage there are some open topics with the plugin that we will settle as moodle 2.3 will stabilize.

Some issues depend on topics that remain open currently in Assign 2.3 core developent. For instance, Assignment Team Based Submissions and Assignment Submission Date Extensions. Particularly, depending on how date extension would be implemented we would need to change the control or re-submission capability for students in one or other way.

At this moment this code is in a "just works" state. Code could be simplified, cleaned or refactored. We expect comments, suggestions and  criticism for improving it.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Mat Cannings

Hi Enrique,

I have only just got around to testing the code that you posted and it does exactly what I was asking about. It is certainly far more elegant than the method I tried a while before to create something like this.

There is a minor issue that I think may be relatively easy to resolve though.

The plugin appears to not be aware of any advanced grading that is taking place, such as via the new marking grid or rubric. Each of those has an instanceid associated with them that is used in their fillings table {prefix}_gradingform_guide_fillings and {prefix}_gradingform_rubric_fillings. They do seem to remain in the table after an amendment or regrade takes place so it may be just enough to store the instanceid at the time of adding the attempt to history. I would assume the advanced grading would not change between attempts but you might also save the type of advanced grading method used too.

I guess you would also need to display the attempt also but I think this would be a method call using the instanceid.

Picture of Allison Thompson

We installed this plugin and had trouble afterward.  We couldn't get to any of the settings page for anything - they were all blank white.  And after I tried to remove it, now all the submissions are missing and no one has any submissions settings.  The header "submissions settings" is there, but there are no settings to choose from.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Picture of Fernando Oliveira

We created a plugin that filled this need in Moodle 1.9, but I'm quite surprised (disappointed  No) that Moodle 2.3 does have a simple ways of handling Assignment resubmissions. This is a VERY basic need. 

The approach described by Enrique sounds interesting (thank for taking that on!). I will definitely try it out, but our own purposes, we would need something more automated, like this:

If the received grade is less than the “grade to pass” and the “allow resubmission” = yes, then save submission/grade/feedback (archive it)  and Revert submission to draft.

This would require some changes to the way Moodle works, namely the following:

• I don’t think the new assignment module has the “allow resubmission” function (actually, I don’t recall seeing it since Moodle 1.9). If so, we’d need that back.  Better yet, add an extra toggle that would allow for conditional resubmission - only if “grade to pass” is not met, like this:  http://screencast.com/t/172nIJmiWLS
  • The “grade to pass” setting is buried in the gradebook, which makes it very time consuming to modify in courses with lots of assignments. It should also be included in the assignment settings screen like this: http://screencast.com/t/a9zUxjDP2w

Any feedback on this method would be welcome. 

Would be good to come up with a method that could be posted as a feature request in the Moodle Tracker.  We really need this to be part of the core.

For now, our team will probably add this ability to our Marking Manager plugin. As I noted above, this plugin was able to track past submissions in Moodle 1.9, as shown in screenshot 1 and screenshot 2 … and it looks like we’ll have to try and find a way of bringing it back for Moodle 2.3.

Cheers,

Fernando

PS. Enrique, would you consider posting your code into the Moodle plugins repository?

Picture of Martin Matthews

It amazes me that some people do not see why this is so important.  Back in 2010 it was asked whether we needed the ability to stop learners from deleting previous submissions and it was marked as a minor issue:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-23552

I am currently using Moodle 2.3 for 16-18 education in an FE college in the UK.  My students upload their work.  It is marked and referred by me for improvement.  They then upload a new version with the same name and instantly we have no audit trail for internal or external verification as the original work is gone.  That makes the assignment module unusable and as that's our main use for Moodle we are now looking for alternatives (and not finding any).

Obviously different countries and education systems have different needs but even if the UK is the only one which allows resubmission and needs an audit trail we really need the ability to protect previous uploads.  Everyone else can ignore that setting.

This must be simple (a flag set or not just like in 1.9) and yet two years later nothing.  I'll look at any plug-ins but to be honest what with the other problems caused by our move to 2.3 I'd rather just give up and go back to students emailing me the work.

BTW thanks Enrique for posting that plug-in.  Any updates to it since?

Picture of Marcus Green
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'd like to echo everything Martin Matthews said about this. The leading commercial VLE has this sorted. I too am in a UK FE college and make extensive use of Moodle. However for assignment submission I use the commercial alternative as it keeps each upload and the scores assigned at the last time of marking. Note that there are far more students in the UK who gain qualifications through Vocational assignment submission than through A levels.

I have just voted on MDL - 23552, which brings the total votes to 3. Are there really only 3 people for whom this is important?

(or does that issue not exactly reflect what people are looking for?

Errr, should have read the thread more thoroughly have now voted for

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-36804

Picture of Fernando Oliveira

I have added this issue to the Moodle tracker as a "new feature request". I also inlcuded a suggestion on how to go about it, but as stated in the post, the goal of the feature request to get a resubmission system THAT WORKS into Moodle 2.3.

Please VOTE  if you see a need for this function so as to help push this along.

The tracker entry can be found here: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-36804

To vote, you will need to register in the Tracker and then click on the "vote" link like this:

http://screencast.com/t/RwLIrcWr

Best,

Fernando

Picture of Martin Matthews

Excellent summary and well thought out proposal.  I can't even think of a way to clarify or improve it which is unusual for me!  Thanks for taking it seriously.

I'll be voting it up as soon as I work out how to sign up to the trackerwink

Picture of Graham Bowman

Great to see development on this has started. It's one thing that really gets to me using Moodle, my current workaround is to download all submissions in batches each time I do some grading and type dates in the comments - ugly.  This would also make it much easier for students to see their progress.