Course restoration from a local file

Course restoration from a local file

by Michael Weiner -
Number of replies: 4

We are running a Moodle 2.1.2 server on CentOS 5.8 32-bit for our development server and i have been trying to restore some courses that we had running in 1.9 into this environment and all but 1 have successfully been restored. My issue is with a particular course which has a 2.31G backup zip file which of course fails to be uploaded no matter what changes are made to the php.ini file because this is a 32-bit system. My question is, how can i get Moodle to restore the file if i have it physically on the server? Where does it need to go that Moodle is able to see it?

Any help/suggestions/ideas would be GREATLY appreciated

Michael

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Weiner

Re: Course restoration from a local file

by Mark Jones -

you will need to convert it first...use http://courseconverter.moodleinschools.org.nz/ to convert the file. mark

In reply to Mark Jones

by Michael Weiner -

Actually i shouldnt need to convert the backup file. Normally i can restore the 1.9 backup zip file by merging it with a course stub and it works. The issue here is that i believe there to be a bug in this version of Moodle that doesnt seem to permit me to upload a >2G file no matter what the php.ini file says. I have restored this file to a 1.9 moodle instance, and and want to restore it to our 2.1.2 moodle instance and i am now running into this error where i wasnt before.

Any other suggestions. Thanks!

by Mark Jones -

when you convert the file it may be smaller so that might work.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Put the 1.9.x backup file in a web accessible directory.  Example: document root for web: /var/www/html/ create a 'm19xfer' folder with correct permissions to be read by apache user/group.  Copy (scp/ftp) the 1.9.x backup zip file there. Check permissions on the backup zip.

In Moodle 2, turn on URL Download repo.  During the restore process, choose URL Download as the method to get the file.  In the URL dialog box paste the full URL to the backup zip file:

http://yoursite/m19xfer/backup-blah-blah.zip

Have successfully restored 4.3 Gig 1.9.x backup into a 2 on CentOS 5.8 32 bit box using this method.

'spirit of sharing', Ken