Repeat Questions

Repeat Questions

by Chris Wheatland -
Number of replies: 5

Is there a way to quickly create repeat questions?

For example, the documentation for the calcualted question type states:

"For example, if you want to create a large number of "Calculate the area of a rectangle" problems to drill your students, you could create a question with two wildcards (i.e. {base}{height}) and put in the "Correct Answer Formula=" input field {base} * {height} ( * being the multiplication sign )."

This is exactly what I want to create.

But the only way I've found to actually do this is to create a question, save it (3 pages to load), click edit (loads a page), click "save a copy" (loads 3 more pages before it's done). It's an onerous task and I was wondering if there is a short cut.

Have no other maths teachers picked up on this yet?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Wheatland

Re: Repeat Questions

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not sure if this will help, but being a "math" professor you might appreciate another approach.

Have you considered "export", then "import"?  If you export two questions, then import them you have four.  Then export these, import them and you have eight.  Very quickly, you have 64, the 128, the 256.  You still need to edit each one to make necessary changes, but maybe this technique will help.  I think it is faster than "save a copy" for what you seem to want to do.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Chris Wheatland -
I'll give that a go, thanks. I still think it'll be more difficult than it needs to be for 10 questions or so, and editing requires the same number of clicks and page loads as simply copying questions. However, if I make identical ones, like you find in textbooks for drilling, it should get easier. I just wonder why the documentation says you can do it when actually you can't.
In reply to Chris Wheatland

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Yep, I know what you mean.  But I don't know if you could ever save some keystrokes with any computer-based system.

I thought that I would suggest that you get the questions from your book publisher.  This is often the easiest way to go for True/False, Multiple Choice questions.  But then I remembered that you are using a more advanced question type, so you are left on your own.

At least Moodle makes it easy to duplicate a question, so its logic does not have to be re-established.  If you ever think of a better way to do this, make sure to suggest it in Moodle's Tracker system. 

In reply to Rick Jerz

by James Razon -

I have the same problem too. I want to do repetitive simple addition. For example: a+b+c = answer

I tried exporting and then importing but I'm getting error something like "calculatedsimple is not supported". Please help.

I'm not sure also if this is where I should post my other question but anyways, I wanted to have my student input their answers on the same line as shown in the above example.

In reply to James Razon

by Paolo Oprandi -

Would this be solved if categories acted more like question repositories and you could simply select the question from the category multiple times?

If you'd like moodle to behave more like this it might be helpful contribute to this discussion so we can guage the momentum for the idea.