Manually grading a quiz as either complete or incomplete.

Manually grading a quiz as either complete or incomplete.

by Brayton Maine -
Number of replies: 3

I have searched for an answer concerning this particular problem and now come to the gradebook forums asking for help.

I have 2 quizzes that I need to "grade" that have multiple essay questions. I am not actually interested in assigning these quizzes an actual grade. What I want to do is review the answers and simply mark that the assignment has been completed.

With small numbers of quizzes being completed this wouldn't be a problem. However, with the possibility of having 200 students doing these quizzes I am looking for a quick and effective method of grading all the ungraded quizzes at once. I would ideally like to either mark a quiz as completed or assign it a grade with as little clicks as possible.

After thinking about it, a "low tech" solution to my problem would be to grade the first question of each quiz to show that it had been "graded." It is a possibility that multiple administrators might be looking at these quizzes at the same time and I need some way of looking at the gradebook at a glance and determining if a quiz had been graded or not. Essentially I would like to use the gradebook to mark whether or not someone's answers need to be reviewed.

In researching a solution I came across downloading the answers and then uploading grades to moodle via cvs. I fear this is much to difficult a method to implement. Or would this method be ideal and simipler than what I'm thinking?

Any ideas and advice is greating appreciated.

In reply to Brayton Maine

Re: Manually grading a quiz as either complete or incomplete.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you thought about setting the quiz not to be graded at all (Set the maximum grade to 0.) Then add a custom column to the gradebook called something like 'Quiz complete'

Uploading data into the custom column from CSV is pretty easy, I think. Have you tried it out in a test course?

(It is helpful if your adminstrators can set you up with a sandbox course where it is safe for you to experiment without the risk of breaking things for students.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Brayton Maine -

Tim. Thanks very much for your quick reply.

That is an interesting solution and something I will have to try and investigate. Luckily I am the admin and can definitely set up a sandbox course for testing as you suggested. I bet I can also play with the settings on my local moodle install as well.

Again, thanks very much! Still have a lot of moodle stuff to learn.

Brayton

In reply to Brayton Maine

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Brayton,

A couple of years ago Itamar Tzadoc kindly showed me how to rate a forum OK/Not OK. Maybe it could be transposed to what you want to do.

See: Grading/Rating Forums.

HTH,

Glenys