Numerical Question in Lesson Module

Numerical Question in Lesson Module

by Chris Wheatland -
Number of replies: 12

I'm having a bit of difficulty with the syntax of answers in the numerical question type inside the lesson module. The documentation says I can enter a range of values for an acceptable answer but it does not provide the syntax for doing so. I tried using the same syntax as the cloze question module, i.e. 34:1 for a range from 33-35, and this didn't work.

I would also like to do a 'catch all' feedback and redirection for any wrong answers typed by a pupil, which I also can't figure out how to do.

Does there exist anywhere a list of commands and syntax that the numerical question inside the lesson module will accept or does it actually only accept precise numbers?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Wheatland

Re: Numerical Question in Lesson Module

by AL Rachels -
Piksa bilong Core developers Piksa bilong Particularly helpful Moodlers Piksa bilong Plugin developers Piksa bilong Testers

You were close to being right. Instead of 34:1 to get 33-35 you need to put in 33:35 for the acceptable range, then it should work.

As far as your other two questions, I'm sorry I don't know.

HTH

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Joseph Rézeau -
Piksa bilong Core developers Piksa bilong Particularly helpful Moodlers Piksa bilong Plugin developers Piksa bilong Testers Piksa bilong Translators

Thanks, Al, I've added this useful bit of info to the Lesson documentation page here.

Joseph

In reply to AL Rachels

by Chris Wheatland -

Brilliant, thanks. It worked a treat.

Unit handling would be a nice feature for the numerical questions, like in the quiz module. Writing maths lessons, and particularly maths of physics lessons relies very heavily on units being correct and training pupils to use the correct ones.

Incidentally, it would be useful to have more question types available for the lesson module, I could make use of cloze in particular.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Piksa bilong Core developers Piksa bilong Particularly helpful Moodlers Piksa bilong Plugin developers Piksa bilong Testers Piksa bilong Translators

Chris, glad it helped.

As for having a more sophisticated Numerical question type in the Lesson module, or a Cloze question type, you should not count on it. The fact is that - unlike the Quiz module, which has a very active maintainer (Tim Hunt) and a large community of users - the Lesson module has been an almost "orphaned" module in Moodle for a number of years. It currently does not have a dedicated maintainer and only bug fixes and occasional maintainance operations are conducted, e.g. to make it forward compatible with new versions of Moodle.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mary Cooch -
Piksa bilong Documentation writers Piksa bilong Moodle HQ Piksa bilong Particularly helpful Moodlers Piksa bilong Testers Piksa bilong Translators

Yes - and it's a shame, because the Lesson module is a great modulesad

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Debbie McDonald -

Is this still the case? Everything we are doing is in a Lesson, I thought the Lesson module was basically the backbone of the system?

In reply to Debbie McDonald

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Debbie,

I don't think the Lesson activity ever was the "backbone" of Moodle. I was probably one of the very first modules to be included in Moodle, which may explain it tries to do (too?) many things. But now there is a plethora of activities, resources and modules to choose from and "doing everything in Lesson" loks to me like using a tiny fraction of what Moodle offers, which seems a pity.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Debbie McDonald -
We use many of the other activities but are using the Lesson Module to launch the reading content. Is it possible this module will go away?

by Peter Halverson -

There aren't many answers to the good questions you asked.  Just by trial and error, I have found that the range -1E99:1E99 works pretty well as a catch-all for wrong answers.