Essay boxes with commas break CSV. 1.9

Essay boxes with commas break CSV. 1.9

by Sam Thing -
Number of replies: 7

Hi there,

I have a moodle user who does exstensive surveys with the quessionaire module and using essay boxes liberally.

When downloading in text format, any commas in the essay boxes breaks CSV (comma seperated values) formatting in excell such that all text after each comma gets shunted to the next cell along.

Is there a workaround or fix for this?

Thanks, Sam.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Thing

Re: Essay boxes with commas break CSV. 1.9

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Sam,

Maybe you are using an old version of questionnaire for 1.9. Try upgrading to the latest available version from the moodle.org/plugins/index.php here: http://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=mod_questionnaire

I have not used MS Office for a number years, as I prefer Open Source software. In Open Office, there is no problem with commas breaking the CSV import into OOCalc.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Malcolm Jaros -

Greerings All.

Also using Moodle-1.9 (do not know the vintage of our Questionnaire module) I have the same experience as Sam on both LibreOffice and Excel (and although I have not used OpenOffice recently, also with that) but assumed that it was unavoidable.  Is it possible for any spreadsheet program to differentiate between commas embedded in text from commas used as field seperators?

MalJaros

In reply to Malcolm Jaros

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Actually, the "Download in text format" feature of Questionnaire does not use commas as separators but tabs.

Malcolm, could you please create a dummy Essay question on a dummy course on your moodle site, enter a couple of answers (with commas!) and export and attach the exported txt file here so I can examine it?

Joseph

by Malcolm Jaros -

Well, now I feel a little foolish, but grateful.

Once I un-checked the "merge delimeters" option (in Excel this is "Treat consecutive delimeters as one") the problem disappeared.

It seems that some of the fields were blank, in the course headers not the questionnaire, which caused a misalignment of some columns.

I hope the solution is as simple for Sam.

Thank you Joseph

by Sam Thing -

Yes, thanks for this Joseph. I'm not sure my problems solved but the output is definately a step forward. Excell is not my normal working environment and I don't understand what I'm doing with much clarity in this case - no div tags; I understand div tags.

I'll get back to my collegue and we'll see if that fixes her problem. If it's still not right I'll come back here.

Thanks again, Sam.

by Sam Thing -

Hi Joseph,

Well I've played with it with the information provided in this discussion and I can't get it to work. I've had our resident Excel guru have a look and he seems to think it's down to moodle.

I'm attaching the exported CSV file from my dummy essay question for your attension. There are two responses with identical text apart from an extra comma on one.

I'm on 1.9 by the way.

Thanks in advance, Sam.

In reply to Sam Thing

by Sam Thing -

Problem solved - it was an old questionniare release. I've upgraded and it's sorted. Thanks for the help everyone.