Make block available only to teachers

Re: Make block available only to teachers

by mandy honeyman -
Number of replies: 2

Hi Mary,

I am probably posting this in slightly the wrong place but hopefully not (and apologies if so)!

I am trying to set up two html blocks on the dashboard 

1. only for students
  2. only for tutors

This is because they are going to contain navigation (to an external site and an internal course) that are only relevant to each group. I can't see how to manage the permissions for this (easily preferably because I have to explain to someone else how to do it).

thanks

Mandy

In reply to mandy honeyman

by Priyanka Sinha -

Hi Mandy,

Were you able to achieve this? I have this exact requirement.

Thanks,

Priyanka

In reply to Priyanka Sinha

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Priyanka,

It is a real shame that you can only add one copy of the Links block, but since you can add multiple HTML blocks, it is still easy to do what you want.

Since you didn't mention what roles and what version of Moodle, I am going to guess at student and a role you created called tutor, and that you want to do this on Moodle 3.

Add your two blocks, let's call them Student Links and Tutor Links. Go edit the permissions for Students Links and remove View block permissions for everyone but Student, Non-editing teacher, and Teacher.  Go edit the permissions for Tutor Links and remove View block permissions for everyone but Tutor, Non-editing teacher, and Teacher.

Once you've done both permission changes, student can only see their HTML block and Tutors can only see theirs. Teachers can still see both and edit both.