Quiz

Picture of Brad Smith
Strange "inverse" grading on quiz

A student reported some odd grading on a quiz, which I've since confirmed. The quiz has three questions, and the student's marks were as follows:

Q1: Correct (1.00)

Q2: Correct (1.00)

Q3: Incorrect (-1.00)

...but in the summary of his performance on the quiz, it says:

Marks 1.00/3.00
Grade 33.33 out of a maximum of 100.00

Am I missing something here? Any advice for troubleshooting this further?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ian Hunt
Re: Strange "inverse" grading on quiz

What result were you expecting?

Picture of Brad Smith

Sorry for taking so long to reply here, but hopefully we can still pick this up.

Since the user got 2/3 correct, I would expect the score to be 66.6, not 33.3. I see that what's happening is that the incorrect answer is counting as a -1, but what I would like is for correct answers to be worth 1, and incorrect answers worth 0. Is that possible?

Picture of Jean-Michel Védrine
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

But if you want questions to be marked as 0 when incorrect then your problem is not quiz grading, the problem is that your question Q3 (and maybe other) is not graded as you want !

It's difficult to be more precise and you don't say what kind of questions are in the quiz, but quiz grading is just the sum of all grades for questions in quiz scaled to quiz max mark. So if you don't want questions to count as negative marks, you should edit these questions so that they don't produce negative marks.

Picture of Brad Smith

It's a multiple-choice question, and I have the value of the correct answer set to "100%" and everything else set to "None", so I see what you're saying about the problem being the question producing a negative mark, but I'm unclear why this is the case or what to do about it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I guess it's also possible that I changed the question at some point (I used to set wrong answers to negative values, but later changed my policy to making them neutral instead). If that's the case, is there something I might need to do to force the scores to re-calculate?

Picture of Jamie Pratt
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writers

Found this video that might be helpful on youtube

Picture of Brad Smith

Perfect! Forcing a regrade solved the problem. Thanks!