New Here - Hi and Help?!? Student Completion Issues

New Here - Hi and Help?!? Student Completion Issues

by Chris Souders -
Number of replies: 0

Hi,

I'm a medical director for a large fire department.  I've been thrown into managing the online continuing education for almost 4000 people.  Of course, I'm not formally an educator nor have any experience with Moodle, so I've been making my way through online help and other informational sources.  In the midst of this, we upgraded to Moodle 2.2.1 which has caused pain and anxiety amongst the users not used to the differences.

My users have a huge problem : They get enrolled in courses (classes) and they want an easy way to know if they've completed them or not.

I should explain how we did set things up, and what we might switch to should it prove better.

-We have several courses that go up monthly and users have to finish them.  They are simple, usually just an uploaded flash file presentation, followed by a quiz and evaluation of the course.  Lastly, there's a course completion certificate enabled.  We use conditional activities to ensure a certain quiz score before the eval and certificate are accessible.

-In the past (and perhaps we should continue this), we would have only one subject (such as headaches) within each course.  We would use the 'topics' format, have 4 topics, and each box filled with one of the above sections.  So, under 'my courses', each user would see the short name for each course (which is also just one subject like headaches).  The idea is they go to the course only until they've completed it, and then they have no more need to go back.  Unfortunately, the short course name ends up staying under my courses forever and over a year it grows really big and they get confused as to they have completed or not. 

-So, we are looking for a way for them to know easily what has and hasn't been completed.  Our definition of completed is that they have viewed the course completion certificate (which they can only do after the quiz and eval).  It'd be great if you could be auto-unenrolled after completion.. or if there is some other way.

-Lastly, I've thought about organizing the structure differently.  We would have one course (say 1stQuarter2012CE) and then set a large number of topics.  Each one of those topics then would contain multiple activities all for the same subject matter.  So, the user would stay in the same course for the year's quarter or whatever timeframe we want.  That seems to show the checkmarks for each activity to show completed as well.  But still, over a year, there might be 4 courses to check and not 1.

So, I apologize for the length, but I thought it necessary to explain.

I've looked at the completion blocks, but that still requires them to open each course individually.

Suggestions and thanks!

Chris

Average of ratings: -