Moodle 2.3 :: how to disable the dragging and dropping of files

Moodle 2.3 :: how to disable the dragging and dropping of files

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 19
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In the course of my moodle 2.3dev tests I have come across a new feature which I really dislike, viz. the dragging and dropping of files. I am especially irritated by the large blue "jumping" arrow insisting that I drag and drop files into the especially designed zone.

In the Site administration ► Development ► Experimental ► Experimental settings it says:

Enable or disable the dragging and dropping of text and links onto a course page, alongside the dragging and dropping of files.

But where is the setting to disable the dragging and dropping of files at site level?

Joseph black eye

Attachment 05-06-2012 17-35-06.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Moodle 2.3 :: how to disable the dragging and dropping of files

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

BUMP! Not possible?

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Joseph:

As far as I know, there is no config setting. That one is for "text & links" as stated, not for files.

I have eliminated drag and drop to course page by customizing course/dndupload.js (making function upload_file return false inmediatly), but thsi hack affects only course pages, NOT filemanager instances, those with your loved blue arrow.

I do have a dual feeling about dnd, having dreaming and expecting it as a teacher, I realize is a nightmare for IT staff. Easy file loading can only worsen  problema with storage and backup/restore.

At my university, ULPGC, we have eliminated dnd to course pages to avoid the loading of GiBs of files. We keep for the moment dnd to filemanager areas but we are considering the topic in the light of 2.3 promise of file references.  As organization what we desire is a separate fileserver for teachers and and easy, really easy, way for teachers to make references (either html links, symlinks or whatever tecnically), and ONLY references in filemanager areas within moodle. 

So, some site-wide config settings to control dnd and use of filemanager/filepicker/repositories to copy files o to make references would we welcome.    

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Joseph - I understand you could get annoyed by the bouncing arrow, I think that is a valid issue to raise. I am less sure about your issue with drag and drop upload of files in general.

If you do not want to use this feature, is it not enough for you to just not drag and files onto the filemanager?

If you want to see the discussion which led to there not being an option to turn this on/off at the site level, then take a look here: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-29766

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Joseph Rézeau -

Davo,

Thanks for your reply. I have to admit that the "bouncing arrow" must have dimmed my judgement of the usefulness of the files drag&drop feature. After using it a bit more I am indeed finding it useful. Thank you for providing the new feature in 2.3!

It remains that some features which I deem even more useful are still missing from the files manager in Moodle 2, namely unzipping of zip files and bulk deletion.

And see also MDL-33136.

ATB

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Lukáš Mižoch -

I must say, that I really hate this feature, especially that big blue arrow is extremely annoying. angry

In reply to Lukáš Mižoch

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Lukas, aside from the anoying big blue arrow, what do you actually hate about the ability to drag and drop files to upload them?

I'm curious to know, because, from my point of view if you don't want to drag and drop to upload files you can just not do it (ie it's a feature that makes life easier for people who want it and doesn't have any effect on people who don't want it).

In reply to Davo Smith

by Lukáš Mižoch -

It's a great waste of space, not mention that annoying yellow banner when I am editing course. Because I'm always using maximized windows, I do not use this feature. It would be nice to have option to disable it.

In reply to Lukáš Mižoch

by Davo Smith -

Ahh.... so it's actually the larger-sized filemanager you dislike, not the dragging and dropping. Whilst the two were introduced at the same time, they are actually two separate features - the size of the filemanager is to accomodate the large thumbnail icons when uploading images. Disabling the drag and drop upload onto filemanagers (which would be very easy to do via a couple of lines of code) wouldn't actually affect the styling of the box (and by the same token, adjusting the styling of the box wouldn't have any effect on the operation of the drag and drop upload).

As for the yellow box that appears for 3 seconds the when you switch on course editing, there is not currently an option to disable the display of it. However, if you could suggest a better way of letting people know that the feature is available (as it depends on the browser they are using), then please share it.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Lukáš Mižoch -

As for the yellow box that appears for 3 seconds the when you switch on course editing, there is not currently an option to disable the display of it. However, if you could suggest a better way of letting people know that the feature is available (as it depends on the browser they are using), then please share it.

Well, there could be message in new user's mailbox, so he/she can read it once. Those animations (jumping arrow, yellow boxes appearing and disappearing etc.) are not good. Moodle was always serious learning environment, now it is beginning to look like hip-hop festival (no offense). wink

In reply to Lukáš Mižoch

by Davo Smith -

But an email in their inbox does not tell the user if the web browser they have open in front of them right now supports drag and drop upload or not (for example recent versions of Chrome / Firefox do, IE10 will, Safari 6 will, but current versions of IE & Safari do not). What is needed is some way of letting these users know what the current status is and brief notification message was the best way that quickly gets out of the way was the best method that could be come up with. Maybe it could be adjusted to only appear once per session, rather than once per time course editing is switched on?

(And I'm not a big fan of the arrow either, it doesn't upset me, particularly, but I'm not convinced it is necessary).

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Joseph,

I personally love this new drag-n-drop feature, especially when thinking of the normal teachers that have so much problem to upload files smile

Like you I dislike this bouncing arrow. A possible solution: hack your theme adding a new CSS definition overriding the default one:

.dndupload-arrow {
    -moz-animation: 5s ease 0s normal none infinite mymove;
    background: url('[[pix:theme|fp/dnd_arrow]]') no-repeat scroll center center transparent;
    height: 47px;
    margin-left: -28px;
    position: absolute;
    width: 56px;
}

Cheers,

Nicolas

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by ben reynolds -

This summer was the first time we used Moodle 2 (we're using 2.2.3), having moved most of our courses out of 1.9. My youngest students are reporting difficulty with the file picker. I suspect it is the number of clicks required.

So, I'm just here to say that I'm telling my teachers, "When we get to 2.3, the kids will have drag and drop. As long as they can see, they can get that file into Moodle."

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

oh so you beat my school to Moodle 2 then? We are hoping to get 2.3 around Christmas (yes, just as 2.4 comes out I know) Sometime in the autumn term I am going to introduce it to our staff.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -

We had to. Our 1.9 was on a Windows server with only 4 gigs of RAM. Right about early April, all our Math and Science students moved onto the server, and overwhelmed it by taking quizzes at the same time. It got truly ugly, with cascading fails: everybody who couldn't take a quiz Friday night went back on Saturday night, failed, and then twice as many came back Sunday night, and failed again.

So, we're moving 1.9 off Windows and onto linux, we've moved a fair number of courses to 2.2.3, and I'm dieing to get to 2.3.

by Dan Poltawski -

Hi,

For those of you who dislike the 'big filemanager', I wrote a userscript for moodle.org which hides it unless you click to show it. Its a hack, just for fun.

You can install it in chrome by downloading the file, opening the extensions settings page and drag/dropping the file there. If you use firefox you can use it be installing the greasemonkey extension and opening the file.

In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

From what I can tell, the size of the filemanager is such that it can show one row of file icons. That is sensible if there are actually files there, but could we make it much smaller when it is empty, and have it grow when you add something to it, or even just drag over it?

Also, on the forum reply form, we could put the 'Post' button above the file manager.

by Ashley Holman -

+1 for having a global option to disable drag and drop file uploads.  We have a client who wants all of their teachers to upload content into an external repository, and then use the repository plugin to reference the files.  The drag and drop feature is a flashing advertisement to circumvent their proper repository workflow, so in this case it makes sense to remove the option so that users are not encouraged to do things the wrong way.

Cheers

Ash

In reply to Ashley Holman

by Amy Pont -

Agreed with Ashley above.

We have no need for this and are trying to convince our users to put files into our external repository. Having the drag and drop here means that they are going to continue to do the wrong thing.

In reply to Amy Pont

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think you should open a tracker issue/request for that (if none existing), and post link to it here.