No 'Reply' in Forum Discussion

No 'Reply' in Forum Discussion

by Walter Behnke -
Number of replies: 9

I posted very short Forum Discussion items for student project submissions (embedded as links to .ppt files which are stored in a Folder) for the purpose of students providing feedback on other students' work by means of a 'Reply' to each individual Forum Discussion. This has always worked in the past.

This time, after posting all the individual discussion items (for each submission), the course participants do not see the 'Reply' function in the individual discussions.

Very strange. Any ideas, what might be wrong?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Walter Behnke

Re: No 'Reply' in Forum Discussion

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Walter,

when you create a forum there is an option with a drop down box titled
"Can a student post to this forum"
it allows you to select the following options:
"Discussions and replies are allowed"
"No discussions, but replies are allowed"
"No discussions, no replies"

- It's probably set to the 3rd one!

to change it, go to the forum and click the "update this fourm" button at the top right of the page.

smile

Dan

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Walter Behnke -

Thanks for the suggestion -- BUT -- the setting: "Discussions and replies are allowed" is a given -- it was on that setting.

In reply to Walter Behnke

by David Rodríguez -
I have the same problem!! My forum has the setting "Not discussion but replies are allowed" but my students don't see the button to reply.

What could be the problem?

In reply to David Rodríguez

by Simon Tutek -
I have the same problem.

Admin can add new topics to forum and replay, students can't.
Probably this is becose admin created topics in news forum. But I can't find a link or a button to create new forum for a specific course.
Plese point out where it is.

Another question: RSS feed is set to no in module, but there is no posibility to set it to yes (no drop down menu, just text). How come?

Moodle 1.4.3+ (2004083133) on Fedora 3.

In reply to Simon Tutek

by Frank Ryan -
I too am having the same problem as the above users with regard to the absence of the 'Reply' button for students in discussion forums. Does anyone know why this is happening. I'm using moodle 1.5 (2004082300) development.
In reply to Frank Ryan

by Frank Ryan -
Funny old world this. Shortly after I submitted the above problem I may have come across the solution. I went into Administration/Settings for the course in question and noticed that I had configured 'group mode' to seperate groups. I changed this setting to no groups and and forced it, and hey presto the reply button appeared in the discussion forum of a student account that I created for testing purposes. In my case my problem could have occurred because the groups may have been able to reply to discussions if they were started by members of their own group (seperate group mode) but were not able to reply to discussions started by people who were not members of their group i.e site administrators etc. Alternatively, if we (administrators) want to begin a discussion topic and restrict it to a particular group to the exclusion of other groups maybe we have to become a member of that group. I'll need to test this a bit when dealing with groups in real time to make sure that this really is the solution but maybe its worth a shot if your students still can't see the reply button.
In reply to Frank Ryan

by Sónia Noronha -

I came across the same problem and the training program my organisation is implementing requires that there are groups, so there was no possibility of setting this option to no groups.

We solved this problem changing the "force" setting. So, I'm guessing, you can probably maintain the groups, but not force the adherence to them.

In reply to Sónia Noronha

by Stacy Seecharan -
Wierd. We have the same problem: 30 Groups (for 30 Tutorial Groups) and students can't see the reply. I've tried the Groups and 'Force'/'not Force' settings and the results still remain, wierd. On other courses it works fine.
The only variable that has happen, is Moodle (1.4 no update) was installed on a new server (same version as before). Any ideas please, as this one is a killer simply because it's so unpredictable as sometimes the studend has the 'Reply' option and other courses they don't.
Stcy
In reply to Frank Ryan

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
When a forum is in separate groups mode, then:

- if you post to ALL participants they can see it, but not reply. Why? Because then the students would see each other's replies in the threaded discussion, and that's not separate.

- if you switch to a group and then post, then your post is marked as being in that group and they can reply normally.